From:
Ferret Nook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:34:17 -0500
I have to say I think Barb has very eloquently stated what every ferret
(dog, cat, reptile, etc.) shelter person feels deep down! Lack of
commitment plays a big part in giving up any pet to a shelter! We
have created a disposable society. It's easier to just get rid of
the problem than to fix it.

We also have had a very busy "dump" season this year. Just this week
we have taken in 3 ferrets (average age of 3 years old) from 2 couples
that are having a baby and can no longer keep their ferrets. Their
reason, one couple stated they need the extra bedroom for their baby
and thus the ferret has to go. The other couple couldn't bear the
thought of giving up their babies so they had his mother bring the 2
ferrets out to us. The wife is a Vet Tech which makes it even harder
to not want to scream "Hey, what are you going to do when your baby
becomes too much for you to take care of! Dump it at a shelter?"

Like Cathy from Zoo's Sanctuary wrote about the 10 year-old boy, I
think we need to hone in on the youngsters. Maybe we can turn things
around one child at a time by teaching them to respect animals and
learn what commitment really means.

Each year during "dump season" I wonder what we can do to stop the
flood of incoming ferrets. I guess the old saying "with age comes
wisdom" I need a little help - I've got the age, where's the wisdom?
One would think after 20 years sheltering ferrets, I would find the
answer!

Ferret hugs,

Kathy Fritz, Executive Director
Ferret Nook Shelter/Adoption Center