From:
"Craig W. Lovell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 22:48:47 -0600
A former co-worker of mine (we both used to work at the same place) has
asked me to post her email to the FML.  Her daughter has three ferrets up
for adoption, ages 3 - 5 years.  Here's the link to see pictures of the
ferrets: http://members.home.net/furryfanatic/jelliott/index.html

Janet lives in the East Valley of the metro Phoenix area.  I cannot take
them, as I live in an apartment, and I'm pushing the limit with my two
furkids.  Plus, I am also an ECE household.  Below is the email she sent
me:

Here are a couple of more photos of the babies.  I am going to give full
disclosure here, so there are no surprises.

In the Ferrets.jpg, the one on the left is Baby.  She is the skinny one,
and about 4 years old.  She is mischievious and wants to get into
everything (cabinets, dressers, etc.).  She is also the one that "steals"
things and hides them under the nightstand, bed, etc.  The middle one is
Wiggles, the chunky one.  She was our first and she is the sweetest.  She
likes to give kisses.  She is about 5 years old and still likes to play.
Roll her over on her tummy and tickle her to get her going.  She will come
back and attack your hand and want more.  The one on the right is Cookie.
She is about 3 years old and we knicknamed her "bearclaws" because of the
way she walks and her fat claws.  She likes to play, but is easygoing
"whatever" attitude.  They all like "cat" type toys, especially a mouse on
a stick, or little balls (except they hide them and they are gone).  I also
have a "crinckle bag," which is like a paper bag, but made of fabric with
crinckly material.  They like to get in it and play.  They also like boxes,
large wrapping paper tubes, etc.

All three are neutered and descented (Arizona regulations).  Although it
is recommended they get the same shots as cats, I do not take them to the
vet, because they do not go outdoors.  They have never been sick.  They eat
Purina Kitten Chow (recommended by the pet store that sold them... much
less money than Ferret food).  I do buy Feretone which is a vitamin that
I put on their food.  They love it and it helps their coat.  They love
raisins for treats.  I have bought Ferret treats, and cannot find one that
all three of them like.  But they all love raisins (and, again, less
money!).

They need to come out to play, and that is the commitment I need from
someone who takes them.  When they are in the cage, they basically lie
around and sleep.  I take them out once a day and confine them to the
master bedroom, bath, closet area (which in our house is fairly large).
You can't leave them alone in a room with a closed door, or they will dig
at the carpet by the door wanting to come out.  If you stay in the room,
they don't do that, or if they try, you are there.

They are litter box trained, and it is in their cage.  I scoop it daily,
and change it weekly.  I clean the cage itself monthly.  There is a section
under the bottom of the cage that I line with newspaper, and then put
cedar chips.  This is underneath and keeps the cage clean and smell-free.
Becuase I am pickly, I also put a stick on air freshener outside near the
litterbox.

I give them a bath every week or two.  They like the warm water.  They do
not play in the tub, but sit still and enjoy.  Their nails need to be
clipped monthly.  I also have a spray to spray on their coat to make them
smell good and helps with the coat.

Any questions, please e-mail me at

I hope someone can assist her.

Craig