From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 00:55:38 -0500
Hi FML Family:

I just got this message from another FML subscriber, Slinky the Moondancer
(Laurie Murchie).  She asked that I forward this to you all for some support
and prayers, and to be honest, I need them too...you see the ferret that you
are about to read about was a rescue in my shelter, Laurie adopted her
(Nala) and another ferret, Spaghetti, from me.  This was a personal message
from her, so a few things might not make sense but the facts about Nala are
there.  Please forward any suggestions to Laurie at redrover@ami.net...does
anyone else possibly disagree with the diagnosis?  I'm not sure I agree...
Nala's only a young little one, just over a year old... (message written as
if from Nala to me)

>Subject: Mom, I'm in the hospital....
>
>Mom, I'm so weak.....I don't know what's wrong with me.  I haven't been
>beating up the guys or eating or drinking much and my poops have been runny.
>Debbie thinks I've lost weight and she told The Boss [Laurie] tonight that
>she noticed that less food had been consumed than usual.  [clipped to
>shorten message] .
>
>We were all sleeping (well, the guys were - Slinky SNORES) and so she
>didn't want to disturb us.  So it wasn' t until tonight when The Boss got
>home and let us out that she (TB) noticed that the guys were killing each
>other and I was just lying on the bed, doing NOTHING, that anyone had any
>idea I wasn't feeling well.  Then, when TB rolled me over on my back and I
>JUST LAY THERE, not squirming or anything, that she knew something was
>DEFINITELY wrong.  [I am] normally a livewire, NOT a burned-out fuse....to
>say the least.  So she made a few calls and they bundled me up and took me
>to the Springfield Emergency Animal Hospital.  TB kept squirting an
>eyedropper full of water in my mouth and I perked up enough each time to
>try to push it away.  I've been TERRIBLY TERRIBLY THIRSTY, but that was an
>awful lot of water in my mouth at one time.  Anyway, Debbie had TB wrap me
>up in a thick, warm coat of hers and TB was stroking, kissing and talking
>to me most of the way to the Hospital.  So there was a veterinary student
>who met us.  She weighed me (1.5 lbs), had TB fill out an information sheet
>and then took us into one of the rooms where she - makes me wince even now
>to think about it - put me through the indignity of taking my temperature
>and to show her how much I appreciated THAT, I pooped slimey, green stuff
>on the thermometer and table.  Maybe I shouldn't have done that because she
>DID apologize while holding the vile thing in place, but I like to BE a
>pain in the butt, not HAVE one....So eventually the vet came in, gently
>poked and prodded me all over (I was too weak to wiggle well, but I TRIED)
>and gave her diagnosis: "I don't know." However, they're the only emergency
>animal hospital in the area that handles ferrets so, if she didn't know,
>it's not because she hasn't had previous experience, TB wanted me to assure
>you.  To make a long story that's driving you bananas not quite so long,
>I'm now in a heated cage hooked up to an IV with fluids (I was definitely
>dehydrated) and on steroids.  [clipped to shorten message] The hospital
>paged her.  When she called back, the vet explained everything they'd done
>and, well, Mom, uh, er, she's not positive, but she "has a very strong
>index of suspicion" that it's......lymphoma.  Lymph nodes and spleen are
>enlarged and there's a hard mass she felt while poking my tummy that she
>thinks might be another enlarged lymph node.  They weren't able to do a CBC
>on me because I wiggled too much (sorry - it's MY blood and I WANNA KEEP
> [...]

Forwarded by:
Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady