Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:15:55 EDT
>They (the pet shop) placed their order..., but when the kits arrived the
>store owners were saddened to see teeny, tiny kits that they felt were
>too young to sell.

a. I'm glad to see a pet shop reconizes when kits are too young to sell.

b. This is a great example of needing state or federal legislation to
mandate that companion animals should not be shipped and/or sold to the
public until they are 8 weeks of age.  Puppies, kittens, ferrets and
rabbits.  Private breeders and rescues know this, and if ALL pet farms/pet
shops had to abide, there would be no unfair advantage in competition and
the animals would all be better off.

Write to USDA (who are responsible for the Aniaml Welfare Act) about making
the minimum age eight weeks for companion household animal sales and
shipping.

Secretary of Agriculture
US Department of Agriculture
Washington, DC 20250
or call 202-720-7327 (202-720-1127 TDD)

Pam - Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets