From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:57:30 -0400
I have long harbored a secret concern about the safety of futons and ferrets
and the post earlier this week about the futon accident has confirmed my
suspicions.  The problem with futons in my opinion is that they are jointed
and capable of falling.  My solution was to get a day bed.  Day beds are
great around ferrets -- they have no moving parts.  Most day beds are too
high for the average ferret to easily climb onto, and it they can, there are
no coil springs for them to get into.  The other advantage of daybeds is
that they are much less expensive than a sofa.

For those who miss leaning back in their recliners, I have the perfect
solution -- an antique pedestal style barber's chair.  For the maximum
safety, the chair should be pre-1940's vintage.  The smooth porcelain makes
it impossible for ferrets to climb, and the moving parts are all exposed and
have wide spaces, making it extremely difficult to catch your ferret in
them.  In some areas, these chairs are extremely expensive as they are
popular with antique fanciers.  However, many times the old barber chairs
can be found and bought cheaply when an old shop closes down.  If you can
find one, be sure to bring help moving the chair.  The Koken chair I have
weighs over 300 pounds, so it certainly isn't a one person move.

Scott and the Baker's Dozen