From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 04 Oct 94 14:39:28 EST
RE: >To try and make it brief, the ferret was destroyed and John was
forced to go to court and pay $100 in fines for having one.>

Bridget--This is very bad news! I called Bruce White who has a ferret rescue
group in Assonet, Mass. He was very surprised, as his group takes in
confiscated ferrets (also FACT in Connecticut will come to Massachusetts to
pick up ferrets.) He would like to know where this happened for their own
information (his # is 508-644-3131, or I can call him if you'd like). I would
also like to know where this was, so I will be sure to avoid that area. It
seems it is very arbitrary in Mass. Bruce also said that Fish & WIldlife
doesn't usually go looking for ferrets, but will respond to complaints, etc.

I don't think we should let this rest just yet, however. Do you know how to
contact this person? Would he be willing to call the MSPCA's cruelty # (800-628-
5808)? Then he can find out if someone at MSPCA will contact the police dept.
or whoever it was and let them know that confiscated ferrets can be turned over
to them (MSPCA), and that either Bruce White's group or FACT in Hartford, CT
(203) 247-1275 will come to Mass. to pick up ferrets. This is really
inexcusable. My guess is that it is related to the whole rabies paranoia that
has infected this state (and I consider the paranoia more of a problem than the
rabies, because many uninfected animals are being killed.)

Can you please let me know what happens? Also, I left a message for Friends of
Ferrets to find out what is happening in Mass. with legislation. I'm not sure
if they are still working on the legislation or not.

**Does anyone on the FML know where the bill to legalize ferrets in
Massachusetts stands, or have any other info?** Thanks!

Further ferret hazards...Ralph and Norman were running around the other day,
looking for new ways to wreak havoc. First I saw Norman eating a tissue (yecch--
I thought only dogs did this!!) Then I noticed what looked like a collar around
Ralph's neck--but it was a rubber band! Fortunately, it was loose so it wasn't
choking him, but I can't even imagine how he got it on. (One more thing to
worry about!)

Ralph has a fascination with the dog toys. The other day I saw him trying to
push the latex Snoopy underneath the bottom kitchen drawer. That didn't work,
so he crawled under the drawer and, with just his head sticking out, tried to
pull Snoopy in. Well, Snoopy was just too big. However, the next day I found
Snoopy in the cabinet with the pots and pans. I also found a squashed plastic
golf ball in the top drawer with the pot holders; he 's still trying to figure
out a good place for the orange rubber fire hydrant, which is almost as big as
he is.

--Ronnie (Cinderella, Ralph and Norman's mom in Massachusetts)