From:
Nicole Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:27:32 -0500
As most of you know by now, I am a Petco employee (and proud of me and
store 608).  I generally work weekends and one day a week and when I went
into work on Saturday I was met by a strange surprise.  Apparently the DM
was at the store to see me!  I was not entirely surprised, I do subscribe
to a list that is not totally Petco friendly as well as the Petno list
where I like to read up on the things that happen at other stores to make
sure they don't happen at mine!!  Regardless, it is not every day that
the DM comes in just to talk to a part-time employee.

We had an excellent discussion.  He was a very nice man, very open to my
suggestions and questions.  What is it, you may ask, that brought him to
my store?  It seems a very inconsiderate person from this list (for sure
not Petno) forwarded my post about hoarding to Petco.

What is the big deal?  First of all, the note attached to the email not
only twisted my words and made my email sound like I was ripping on
Petco, but copied my post without my permission.  My post on hoarding
was not about Petco.  I would NEVER ask advise from anyone other than my
superiors for advice on Petco policy.  I simply wanted to know if anyone
had a similar experience with a child with that type of disability.  Or
similar hoarding problems.  MOST of you took it that way.  And THANK YOU
for your private emails with your experiences and ideas.  However, I am
appalled that a person or a couple of people I thought were considerate,
turned around and stabbed me in the back.  You stated that Petco has no
policies on hoarding.  We do.  We have to have SOLID evidence on a person
and we report any strange behavior to the proper authorities.  Without
that, refusal of sale by Petco can result in serious discrimination
lawsuits.

What was meant by what I said was simply, the boy was not hoarding(yet),
therefore nothing can be done at this time.  I have no doubt and have
learned for myself that the majority of you have good, kind hearts and
want nothing more than to have a good chat with other ferret slaves about
experiences that make us all laugh or cry or laugh till we cry.  But I am
so disappointed that someone would twist my words and say "now I have it
in writing from an actual employee", and not even notify me that you were
doing so.  That part was cowardly.  If you would like to confront me, and
explain to me what you have done, please feel free to do so.  I would
like to hear why you chose to make that decision and why you would twist
what I said so horribly.

I do not intend to flame you, nor do I intend to harass or degrade you.
I think you have already done that to yourself.  To save face, please
email me privately or send an anonymous post to the FML explaining
yourself.

Thank you's go out to all of you honest and honorable folk.  I believe
(even though I work for Petco) that I have a friend in the FML, but if
everything I say is going to cause me to get a visit from the DM, forget
it.  It is not worth risking my job and income to defend something I
can't even begin to explain to some thick-headed individuals who could
care less that there are people out there who care about animals and
still work at a pet store.  I hope this nonsense can end now.

Nicole, Silly Girl and Daisy Dooks