From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:32:33 EDT
I just got back from the vet with Lovely.  His kidneys are damaged.  His
spleen is rock hard and very large.  He lost all of his beautiful silver
fur...

He got into a poison workmen left on the floor of my home.

You know how workmen leave their stuff all over your home until the job
is done?  There are all these black bags that are not sealed?

Please do not do what I did.

You can seal the bags each night yourself.  Make sure you look under the
sofa, or recliner, or bed.  Look everywhere before you open the door to
the ferret room.

The owner of the remodeling company took epoxy out of the box, and put
half of it on the floor in an open black bag, and put this bag under my
living room chair on top of Lovelys blanket.  Why?  I do not know.  But
he told me he did it.

Lovely now has kidney damage.  He may be on Lasix for the rest of his
life.

His beautiful silver fur all fell out within a week.  It is not adrenal
pattern.  The epoxy was all over him.  Of course I bathed him.  But by
then, it was too late.

He has a terrible hacking cough.  He wakes me up in the middle of the
night.  I hear him, and feel SOO guilty.

That only one of the ferrets got in that bag before I found it is a
miracle.  I was reaching under the chair for a fur body that I thought
went under there, and pulled out this bag that felt like it had a dead
weight in it.  Inside was the poison..several pounds of it.

I could not keep the ferrets in one room for a week straight.  Several
slipped out.  They were stir crazy wild.  So, I let them out to play
that night.  One night was all it took.

Do not be shy.  Seal up those bags the workmen leave, or ask the workmen
to take them home....

Just make sure that you look everywhere. Workers in your home can
inadvertently harm your ferret.