From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:35:38 EST
Risa,

I agree that if more animal shelters knew the needs of ferrets, it would
be great.  However, most of the shelters surrounding my area, will put
down ferrets or call another shelter to come and get them because ferrets
are much more work than they can handle.

Back in 2003, of which a lot of PA shelters can probably attest to,
ferret surrenders, rescues, abandonments, were extremely high.  In that
year we took in over 300 ferrets during the year.  At that time I was
struggling to keep above water and had to close down to all but
emergencies for almost a year.  I wore myself out and thought, if only,
I had more help and more room.  So I explored the option of opening a
specific ferret shelter, outside of my home.  I talked to a vet who was
willing to work on his off hours to help out in the beginning and then
I would have to find someone permanent.  I talked to a realtor that
found a suitable building in the Very Northeast Part of Philadelphia
near Trevose.  Good location, building wasn't so expensive I would kill
myself.  It even included a small living space upstairs, so if it was to
be a long night, there was a bed there.  It was within a 20-25 minute
drive from my house, I had people looking to help, but then it came to
a possible government grant because my money would be sunk into the
building and supplies.  So I could get there but how to keep going.  Well
my response from the government was "NO", only Dog, Cat and Bird Shelters
would be given grants.  So then I tried a personal bank loan and one bank
told me that firstly since I was a victim of identity theft more than
once, that they could not loan to me.  My credit was being repaired, it
was not perfect but it was above average but because of my identity
theft, I was denied.  Or perhaps because of that and that I wanted to
open a ferret shelter.  That response turned up a lot of noses when I was
going for a loan.  I had others who worked for banks try to get a loan
but it wasn't enough.  I could get a minimum loan but the loan needed
would have to be higher than what I was approved for.  It's harder than
you would think.

I would love to see people open a shelter that is 24 hours, outside a
home, with a vet oncall or onsite and hold an honest capacity.  I am
still trying but at the present time, my finances are going toward the
rescues we have.  I have several older ones 6 1/2-11 years of age with
varying health problems that are likely to live out there days here,
the majority of them will not make another home change.  If anyone is
interested in trying to open a shelter outside their home, perhaps I
can help, I live in PA.  State laws vary but perhaps I can offer ideas
to help.