Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:52:15 -0400
>You said you bought Butler NutriSentials Lean Treats as a treat for your
>pets.  While the corn and fructose syrup are not good for your ferret,
>Propylene Glycol, is found in anti-freeze, and a lot of products from
>lipstick to deodorant to keepthemt soft.  The manufacture says it is a
>small amount.  Won't hurt you, ???

First of all hello everyone, this is technically my first post (though I
have read the digest for some time now).  Actually what you are confusing
with is ethylene glycol.  Yes nowadays you do find propylene glycol in
antifreeze because it is a much less toxic component than ethylene glycol
(what you are possibly thinking of).  In fact many chemical components
are used in such a wide array of areas that you simply cannot just say
one particular component is found or used for only one particular purpose
(though there is several, most chemicals do not fall in this range).  To
give you an idea propylene glycol can be found in foods, medicine,
cosmetics, solvents, antifreeze and I'm sure there is many others (can't
remember all the purposes obviously).  Now every single chemical in
this world can cause a toxic effect on the body (including water) what
determines the level of toxicity of a compound is the dosage (and of
course the usage/rate) but mostly dosage.  In fact this compound will not
harm people in small dosages (hence why its widely used).  That being
said I'm sure the high sugar levels in the treat mentioned could probably
be a more worrisome thought than the small amount of propylene glycol
found in this treat.

Barbara