From:
Don Benchoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:30:08 -0500
I have a new ferret I recently purchased.  He is only 8 weeks old and I
am feeding him ferret food which I purchased at Petsmart here in Tucson.
Today, I offered him a small morsel of meat, which he grabbed and in a
frenzy and growling (the only way I can describe the sound he made), began
to eat it as if he hadn't eaten in two days.  Later on in the day, to see
if this behaviour was connected to all kinds of meat, or just what I had
offered him earlier, I offered him a morsel of liverwurst and he grabbed
it- and my finger in a similar frenzy making strange growling noises all
the while.

Has anyone out there have an explanation for this type of behaviour?  My
other ferret won't touch meat and never would.

What about meat in a ferret's diet, is this a good thing to do?  If so, I
would cook it first as there is too much of a risk of salmonella with raw
meat.  He seems to enjoy meat much more than the fishy smelling stuff I am
now feeding him.

I would appreciate anyone out there having some information, opinions or
advice on the above, dropping me an email.  Thanks.

Don in Tucson, AZ