From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 03:09:32 -0500
The following are subheadings introducing subjects that will be discussed
in the series on ferrets eating bones.  As you can see, I will make an
attempt to discuss ALL aspects of bone eating in order to give the reader
enough of an education to decide for themselves if they want to take the
risk of feeding ferrets bones.  Look at the subheadings carefully; you
will probably notice questions and objections brought out by one aspect
of the discussion will be discussed at a later time.  While you can ask
questions or raise objections at any time, I suggest that such responses
be held until the final posts, at which time I will be happy to respond.
For those that simply cannot wait to post, be aware I will ignore
questions and replies, which have a nasty habit of prolonging an already
lost series of posts, until then.

The subheadings are:

 1. Introducing the Problem
 2. Defining the Problem
 3. Burning the Analog
 4. Dining With Polecats
 5. Actual Evidence
 6. Risking It All
 7. Risky Businesses
 8. Stomaching Bone (and More Acidic Comments)
 9. Acid--Basic Digestion
10. The Whole Tooth on Bone
11. Bone Mechanics
12. Bone as a Food
13. Teeth: Making an Impact on Bone-Eating
14. The Whole Tooth on Cooked Bone
15. The Whole Tooth on Dry, Extruded Foods
16. Broken Tooth Abuse
17. Bona Fide Bone Benefits
18. The Bottom Line
19. Follow-up Questions

This is an information-rich series, and I stress that while the material
is sometimes dense, anyone capable of operating a computer and getting
on line is intelligent enough to follow the argument.  If I neglect to
define a technical word, send me a private email and I'll do so off list.
If I get enough requests, I'll post a short glossary.

Be aware the importance of these posts are not just in the aspects of
ferrets eating bone.  Other aspects of ferret lives are touched on as
well, including stress, nutrition, dental health, bone anatomy, oral
ecology, dangers of kibble, basic digestion, scientific modeling, risk,
and more.  You will not just learn about the pros and cons of ferrets
eating bone, but also how to tell when someone is so neurotically afraid
of risk that they will manipulate you with the "MEE Whammy" (Myths,
Emotions, and Experts) in order to control your thinking.  While I
clearly favor feeding bone, even during my talks last week I told people
who worried about the health risks to simply not do it.  Even before I
present the argument, I say it again: if you are so fearful of feeding
bones to your ferret that it causes great anxiety, then DON'T do it.

Bob C