From:
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:06:23 -0700
>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccine post  - continued

Nice post...

>I did NOT mean to imply that Galaxy-D is used more frequently THAN Fervac-D,
>just the use as of late has been more than in the past!

I think the use of both vaccines in ferrets is on the rise and doubt one
could really know in what proportion.  None of the owners of Galaxy-D have
recommended it for use in ferrets so I'm pretty sure they don't keep
statistics.  Galaxy versus Fervac has become a political thing in the ferret
owner's world.  One group says Fervac is dreadful, the others say its the
best we got.  No one seems to love it but how can you "love" a vaccine.  You
have become involved for good or bad with the group that does not like
Fervac-Dor seemingly United Vaccines.  We are not fond of United Vaccines
but they are the only company that has so far supported us as ferret owners.

Fervac-D has done its job for us and many others so we appreciate it.
FROMM-D and Galaxy-D did not cause us problems either but without testing we
can't know whether it should have worked or not.  There is evidence that
both had caused the correct titer but that was not a real test of the
vaccine in a large population in a controlled environment.

I find it surprising that zoo usage wouldn't be enough to keep a CDV vaccine
useful and reasonably profitable.  The big cats have problems with CDV as I
understand (I haven't heard one way or the other on Feline distemper in the
big felines) but can't cite a source as I just heard it in passing.

>In our imperfect world both human and animals drug manufacturers may have
>(I sated MAY) production problems from time to time.

Unfortunately its far more certain than may.  The probability of a
particular vaccine patient having a problem is very small but when the many
many dosages given to many many patients are considered as a set the
probability is pretty good that some will have problems.  The odds though
are better than the odds of surviving the disease the vaccine is to prevent.

Has anyone checked to see who does own the rights to FROMM-D and if it can
be reproduced?

>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mustelids and dachshunds

I've taken to calling dachshunds "ferret-dogs".  After all they were bred to
serve as surroagte ferrets in chasing rabbits.  Get funny looks from some of
the owners...

>From:    Denise Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: plastic easter eggs
>Now for my question-- I want to get my boys a small wading pool and put a
>little sand in the bottom.

I believe that was done by the Bossarts but not sure.  We let our ferrets
share our son's sandbox but he uses it more.  We are going to let them have
this sandbox and get our son a new one when we get to our new house.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]