From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:28:57 -0400

First, as a librarian, I must say that it is perfectly legitimate for a
periodical publication to have a publishing schedule that is officially
described as "IRREGULAR," in library and publishing language.  It would
probably be best if "Modern Ferret" changed their self-described
frequency to IRREGULAR to more accurately reflect their current
situation.

Second, as a currently disabled person, I have to say before you flush
an excellent pair of editors and their equally superior publication,
you gotta walk a mile in their shoes.  Understand that they are doing
the best they can in the face of severe illness and its accompanying
financial pressures.  The editors have committed themselves to keeping
to their high standards, instead of publishing sub-standard issues just
to meet a publication schedule.

BIG is correct that you will get the number of issues you subscribe to,
no matter how long it takes for those issues to be published.  You will
get your money's worth.

In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with also subscribing to "Ferrets"
magazine if receiving a regular publication is important to you, but
please don't abandon "Modern Ferrets."  Also, please be aware that the
owner of "Ferrets" magazine has done his best to put "Modern Ferrets"
out of business, just as he has squashed a whole series of
privately-published, specialty pet magazines.  By maintaining your
subscription to "Modern Ferrets" you register your objection to this
sort of corporate cannibalism.

"Modern Ferrets" was the very first ferret magazine.  They have published
excellent, superior articles for years, when nothing else was available
to the ferret community.  Every issue has an article by Bob Church.
Please consider all these points before you give up on the best ferret
magazine there is or ever has been, even if it publishes on an irregular
schedule.  Look at it as a pleasant surprise waiting to show up in your
mailbox!

note: I have absolutely no connection to "Modern Ferret" and its editors,
other than being a subscriber.  I just know a lot about the periodical
publishing industry, and I know quality when I see it.

Please help "Modern Ferret" stay afloat!

Cindy and the fuzzy trio: Sugar, Butter, and Cocoa