From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 10:47:11 -0400
To all you ferret lovers out there,
     When we first got Shyla and Rowdy one of their favorite things to do was
to dig in the litter box and to climb to my plants and dig them up, I
nicknamed them the plant murderers!!!  Well unbelievably my fiance David
actually came up with one of his rare good ideas!!!!! We got a large
cardboard box and cut out a doorway and filled it with playbox sand!!!!!!
Now when the mood strikes them they know they can go digging there without
getting into any trouble and they absolutely love it..... No more dead plants
and no more litter to clean up all over the floors!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!
     Second suggestion is for Donna Rulli. Sorry about Oscar's pee pee
accident but perhaps I can help you.  My mom is building us a ferret
penthouse and we wondered what to do about the surrounding edges of the
doorway.  Well our other cage has the strips of plastic like come on the
clear plastic page protectors you can buy almost anywhere.  That is one idea
but my mom thought it cost too much so at a garage sale she found a long
piece of small soft rubber tubing that she slit down the middle and it just
slides right over the edges.  I'm sure you could buy tubing like this at a
hardware store or plumbing supply.  Just cut it whatever lengths you need
even if you have to put it on each space between where the bars join
together.  It shouldn't get dirty any faster than the normal bars would and
it will hold up for a very, very long time..... Good investment for Oscar's
pee pee.  If you do this let Oscar know who saved his pee pee from further
accidents and pain.....  Hope it works out so let me know what you decide to
do!!!!!
     Third idea of the day is something I came up with for our own ferrets
out of necessity.  I absolutely insist we get name tags to put on our babies
collars but the only ones I saw anywhere are for dogs and wayyyyyy to big for
the ferrets to drag around with hanging from the collar and dragging on the
floor.  Also cost $9.00 for something I didn't feel was at all right for my
babies.  So I went jewelry shopping for the ferrrets one day and at our local
Shopko (basic inexpensive department store) I found a line of earrings and
necklaces that were made of sterling silver and turquoise.  The earrings were
too small unfortunately (since it would have cost half as much) but the
necklaces were perfect!!!!!  I chose two small puffed on one side hearts and
then two flat hearts with silver crosses on the front with the turquoise and
took them to a local jewelry repair shop I know and had their names and our
phone # engraved on the backs!!!!!!  Turned out beautifully and the ferrets
love them.  They are small, lightweight and provide me with a better sense of
security.  Of course I pray we never lose any of our babies but you just
never know what can happen in just a split second and at least this way
anyone finding them would know they are pets and be able to contact us!!!  I
didn't save any money since these cost me a total of $9.00 each also but they
are very pretty and much more practical for ferretware.  We also went to the
local Home Depot (a hardware, plumbing, electrical etc. supply) and found the
small ballchain in bulk like they use as lamp pullchains and the connectors
and we bought that and are using it as their new collars now.  When it gets
wet it won't shrink like nylon and leather, it is extremely lightweight,
doesn't cause the ferrets to itch and is much easier to get off and on the
squirmy bunch of kids......  Also it is extremely cheap and as the babies
grow it costs almost nothing to just cut another piece to fit and attach it.
 It takes all of about 30 seconds to take care of.
     Well I hope these ideas are a help to a lot of you out there.  If so
give me a jingle on the e-mail or on the FML and let me know what's up and if
I've helped in some small way!!!!!  Catch all you guys later, Have a happy
ferret weekend!!!!  Bye,
Kelleen- the human slave and proud mommy
David- zzzzzzzzzzz
Rascal, Silly, Moneybags (the doggies)- zzzzzzzzzzzz
Shyla, Rowdy, Silverada, Fang- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hey I'm noticing a trend here!! How come I'm the only one not getting any
zzzzzzzz's???????????????