From:
"Sandy E. Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:49:56 EST
Hello out there.  My name is Woden.  I hope that BIG and the rest of you
don't mind my writing to the FML - you see, I'm a cat - but I'm a cat who
happens to love one particular ferret more than you could imagine.  Tater
came into my life about three months ago and, I'll be the first to admit, I
was not very pleased at having the funny looking critter around.  All that
changed after I got to know the little guy.  My mother, brothers, sisters
and cousins have had to put up with a lot of strange creatures in our home
over the years - the worst of which were those noisy things called
'grandchildren'.  When the last of those horrible things moved to Wisconsin,
we all figured that life would settle down to a peaceful and dignified
existence for us.  Wrong!

Paw Paw and Mee Maw ran a ferret in on us and we were more than a little bit
peepeed about it.  My brother, Thor, and I were the two main 'bedcats' until
Tater arrived.  All of a sudden, this hyper little thing took our bedroom
away from us.  Thor really got his nose out of joint but I, being the older
brother by at least two minutes, decided to give the little varmint a chance
to prove himself.  What can I say?  He's really neat!  We play together
whenever we get the chance.  Heck, he even taught me how to use Mee Maw's
computer thingy.

Well, I guess I ought to come to the point.  Tater tells me that there has
been a lot of discussion on the FML lately about ferrets getting along with
cats, dogs, snakes and other critters.  I don't want to brag, or anything
like that, but I do have some advice to offer for your consideration.

First: cats and fuzzies can coexist in the same household if you give us
feline beasties time to get used to and get to know the little guys - we do
have our pride to be considered.  Heck we don't like it even when a new
kitten comes into our territory.

Second: cats, dogs and ferrets can live together as long as everybody knows
who the boss is.  Tater thinks that he's in charge but I really am.  Just
remember, If a dog has anything against cats and ferrets, he's not a dog
worth having.  'Nuff said about dogs.

Third: OK, if you just can't resist messing around with those snakes and
other reptiles, please remember one thing.  If the snake is larger than the
ferret or cat, don't let them play together.  If the snake is smaller,
forget that too.  I once saw my mother turn a garter snake into a rubber
band.  Tater says that sounds like a lot of fun to him - he would love to
prove that he's related to mongeese (gooses?).

Fourth: cows - forget it.  Even Winn Dixie, the beef people, won't buy a
ferret slaughtered cow.

Finally: (bet you thought I'd never get here) The main thing to remember
when introducing one critter to another is to use your common sense.  The
bigger, meaner animal will always try to get the best of the smaller one -
this rule is frequently suspended when it comes to ferrets - they can take
care of themselves.  MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure that all of your 'pets'
receive equal loving and the assurance that every one of them is special to
you.  If you follow this simple advice - and use your common sense- you will
find yourselves with a Christmas card that will put the lion and the lamb to
shame.

I'll close now. Tater says it's his turn. Wonder when Mee Maw & Paw Paw are
going to get them a computer?

Woden - Tater's best friend.

[Moderator's note: Cats can post too.  The FML does not discriminate in
regard to species, fur color, ECE status, etc. etc.  BIG]