From:
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:32:56 -0700
>From:    Murray Mustelid <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Show Sleuth on Chicago
>Show Sleuth will say that it was plentiful, but I really think that it's
>not appropriate to have non-ferret related items up on the show table.

We'll disagree - somewhat.  Its nice for each show to have uniqueness.
When all raffle items are the same ferret items they get stale.  Some items
that are not ferret realted but instead reflect the location, that's good.
An example was the autographed Nascar shirts in North Carolina.  That is a
regional thing and although might not generate as much interest with all
people it provides some interest for those of us who've been there many
times before on that same ferret trinkets and makes it different.  But the
ferret items are more related to the fact that it is indeed a ferret show.
Quite often by now we don't bother with the raffles.  When something really
different shows up we do.

Another thing to consider.  What is raffled is donated items.  Non-ferret
items were probably donated by companies or individuals that didn;t have
ferret items to donate but still support what the show sponsoring
organizations are doing.  Since that is quite often supporting shelters
that means we are getting support from outside of our small (yes its still
relatively small) little world and making headway with the world at large.
So isn't it still good?

But what really counts is does the raffle raise money.  Not sure whether
any shows do but perhaps actually counting the number of tickets put in on
each item is the real way to guage the success of the particular items.
The more tickets put in on that item the more interest in THAT item
obviously.  Just don't know if any one is taking that step of counting.
That would let the raffle's organizers know what type of itme s to seek
to best spend what little time they have (we have to assume everyone has
things other than chasing down raffle items to sepnd time on - like their
own ferrets)

Lots has been dicussed about the late issue.  6PM is not late by the
standards of most other shows.  Here is wher regulr folks NOT those
associated with the sponsoring or sanctioning organization need to be
heard.  How does it affect the attendees?  Not the bad thing about being
forced outside but that fact that things are rushed at the end.  How about
the fact that maybe it would be better if the shows ended by about 5 to 6
PM?  Would the losses from judges having to rush more and the scurrying
and shutting down abruptly of the vendors be worth the idea that we aren't
hanging around staring at each other while that last few elements of the
show are wrapping up.  Write to the FML or send notes to our buddy Murray
if you feel that political fall out from being known is a bad thing.  If
people tell the GCFA and the AFA here or elsewhere what they really think
would be ways to make improvements then improvements can be made.  The next
show is already scheduled so not everything can be fixed by then BUT maybe
for the shows after that.  We're in it for the long haul.  So are the clubs
and organizations.  What would keep everyoine else interested in it for
future years?

Realize that at the GCFA show the judge that was the last one finished was
slow because she was desperately trying to make sure she was absolutely
correct.  She wasn't trying to cause problems but avoid other problems.
Its always in life compromising between the various good facets and bad
facets of everything.

No we aren't MM/SS and we don't know if we know yet who is.  Just
appreciate a creative way someone is trying to make a difference.

And boy can we just talk and talk and talk...

bill and diane
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets