From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:22:33 -0500
Do you recall the conversation where several litter types got mentioned
including Hunt Club which contains the zeolite Clinoptilite?  It worked
incredibly well for removing ammonia so the waste had far less odor and
the risk of mold growing was greatly reduced.  Also, it is so safe that
it is used for water purification and as a food additive.  The only
problem ever found with it is that those who process it sometimes get
eye or mucus membrane irritation from the dust.  (Yes, I looked up the
safety sheets on it at the time.)

Anyway, we have found the amount seems to variable in that litter so
we went on a quest for the Clinoptilite by itself, and we found it:
Ammo Cat.  It runs about $5 for 24 ounces and about $9 for 48 ounces.
Several places sell it if you do a Google search for "Ammo Cat".  (It's
easier to find it if you use the quotes.)  We plan to order some tonight.

I have some questions about the food additive use of other Clinoptilite
products, but I think that maybe the answers are not out there yet or
not out there fully yet, though I plan to look.  These are very rough
questions which so far lack my looking into them to any degree.

Given that it is used increasingly as a food additive (though I have not
seen it in ferret food so far) and given that it binds to and deodorizes
ammonia so well:

1. Is there any chance of it decreasing amino acid uptakes?

2. Might it reduce waste odor even before the animal urinates and
   defecates?

3. Does nitrogen processing create any of the strain of high protein
   diets on diseased kidneys, and if so might a mineral which binds it
   help reduce the strain on kidneys?

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan