From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:12:32 -0700
        Timmy's recipe, updated 2/20/97

This is the latest of recipes used to help my Timmy to totally recover from
"terminal lymphoma that had spread to the liver", lab confirmed by Dr. Susan
Brown in Oct.  of 1994.  In the fall of '96, two different vets in two
different states have said he looked like he had never been sick a day in
his life... I'm very grateful for this to many sources.  (I have Pedialyte
or generic equavilant available for the sick people also.)

The following recipe is shared daily by 9 ferrets, and is Timmy's main diet,
still.  He eats about 70cc/day.  He and Bunny, my 8 y.o. 95% bald adrenal
person, have it with about 30% deliver 2.0..  I periodically revise this
recipe as my guys age, to try & maintain maximum health, rather than wait
until a "crisis", and then panic.

To feed I use a 35cc "feeder syringe", (if they won't eat from a dish), also
known as a catheter tip, that has a larger than standard opening.  I get
mine from Colorado Animal Health, 800-235-2636, in Longmont, Co.  They sell
a box of 25 for $22.00 My other 8 lap it up from a bowl.

     -->>> [items with the '*' are available by
            mail from supplier in D), below.]  <<< --

The various herbals can be increased as dictated by ferrets' condition.
Some ferrets need more, do what works!

     THE INGREDIENTS ARE LISTED IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE..

1    jar (4oz.) Earth's Best organic Turkey Vegetable baby food
                (800-442-4221).
4    jars Gerber's Turkey Rice (all Gerber's is OK too)
      (I microwave all the baby food to body temp before mixing in the rest
      of the ingredients, and add the kelp last as it will thicken the mix.)
*1   tsp. or more of  "Greens+",
     by Orange Peal enterprises, 2183 Ponc DeLeon Circle, Vero Beach, Fl.
     32960, 800-643-1210.., or supplier in D), below.  Ingredients: Soy
     lecithin, Hawaiian spirulina, high pectin apple fiber, barley juice,
     alfalfa juice, wheat grass juice, chorella, wheat sprouts, sprouted
     barley malt, brown rice germ, natural vitamin E, dairy-free probiotic
     culture, royal jelly, bee pollen, acreola berry juice, milk thistle,
     Siberian ginseng, licorice root extract and flavor, astragalus
     membranaceus, Echinacea angustifolia, licorice root, dunaliella salina,
     red beet juice, ginkgo bilboa, green tea, grape seed extract, dulse,
     bilberry extract.  (LOTS of anti-carcinogens)..  A 9.4 oz (267 grams)
     jar runs $34.79 here at the store in item D), Natures' Alternative.

4    cc  Pet Tinic liquid vitamins  (Almost any vet his it, or Colorado
     Animal Health or Omaha Vaccine =4oz for less than $5.00)... If Ill or
     run down, 1cc/ferret/day has been prescribed.
5    cc  500ppm Colloidal Silver;  (I only get mine from Silver Wings co.,
     800-952-4787 )
1    Tbl. Ferratone
1    Tbl. organic flax seed oil, extra virgin olive oil, or other light
     fresh human grade food oil
*1   capsule  (contents) of 30mg. CoQ10
*1   capsule  (contents) of Lympho-Clear, by Enzymatic Therapy co.
     800-783-2286 ): This contains extracts of; Red clover, Burdock root,
     Oregon grape root, Licorice, & Golden seal.  (1cap/ferret/day=current
     THERAPEUTIC dose, more than used here.)
1/2  tsp. Brewers' Yeast  (I use Lewis Labs brand, or other "debittered"
     type, for best taste)
1/8  tsp. powdered garlic, or a heavy "pinch" to taste.  (NOT garlic salt!)
1/2  tsp. of fine grain Kelp powder; Norwegian or Atlantic are high quality.
*2   cc  "Natural Sources" brand Black Cherry concentrate (unsweetened) for
     taste (some herbs are bitter).  This is the brand I use, any good fruit
     concentrate might work.
*2   cc "Ultra-B Liquid, (B complex in RAISIN juice!, by World Organic co.)

1    tsp. "The missing link" feline  supplement by Petscriptions, inc.
     800-774-PETS: 20% protein., 25% fat: Contains: Flax seed, sunflower
     seed, Black strap molasses, Primary dried yeast, rice bran, freeze
     dried liver, dried alfalfa, freeze dried bone, dried carrot, fish meal,
     freeze dried oyster, dried kelp, lecithin, taurine, spirulina, barley
     green, garlic and nettle.  I can also send you some if you can't find
     this.  The "human" version has no liver which "might" aggravate the
     spleen.  Concentrated non cooked liver in large quantities have been
     observed to cause this, but it is reversible.

Feed as much as they will eat, every 2 hours or so if sick & not eating on
their own.  I give this as a once a day supplement to everyone.  I consult a
vet with herbal experience, as well as certified DVM.  Prayer has been
proven to help by studies at Harvard by Dr. Dossey, as if most of us needed
"proof".

Additions:

A) If ferret is skinny, and / or not eating well, Deliver 2.0 high calorie
supplement (Mead Johnson=mfg.) from any pharmacy would be added to approx.
30% of recipe by volume, or feed directly as a dessert.  ANY pharmacy can
order, some don't know they can unless you insist they look it up!

B) If critically ill, I have used 5-10cc per ferret, per jar of baby food,
of Chei Shei herbal supplement, and offer a mix with 1/2 C. water for them
to drink..  (This is presently out of production, but here's the ingredients
it had): Clover honey; The following extracts in purified water, Echinacea
angustifolia, Siberian Ginseng, Chinese red ginseng, black walnut hulls,
Licorice root, chicory root, hibiscus flowers, dandelion root, wood betony,
Scullcap, burdock root, Chinese cinnamon, alfalfa herb, elder flowers, red
clover blossoms, Echinacea purpurea, sarsaparilla root, astragalus root,
rose petals & buds, Ho-Shou-Wu root (Polygonum multiflorium), rose hips,
eyebright, orange peel, damiana, fennel seed, cloves, potassium
glycerophosphate, glycero borate, apple concentrate, monopotassium citrate,
vegetable glycerine, ascorbic acid (preservative), monopotassium aspartate,
lemon juice, natural black cherry flavor, lemon essential oil, grapefruit
seed extract.  If ANYONE can find a herbalist who could duplicate this,
PLEASE let me know!  Other herbal supplements could be used as your
knowledge would indicate.