From:
Rita Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:28:54 EST
I posted in mid December about Loopy my female 6 1/2 year old sable
diagnosed with insulinoma and put on pred.  I received some great advice
and I am most appreciative but have come on a new problem.  She was doing
well and I took her to the vet almost 2 weeks ago to check her Blood
glucose again to see how the pred was working and her new chicken gravy
diet.

Her blood glucose was 92 and her weight was up to 1185 grams.  Only bad
thing was she has lumps in her back leg lymph glands and a lump in her
neck lymph gland.  An aspiration of her neck gland didnt show anything.
Her blood work didnt show any rise in white blood count which really
surprised me and the vet.  I digress though because the swollen glands
arent really giving me concern because she is already on prednisolone.
Earlier this week I noticed her grinding her teeth and not eating quite
as good.  Teeth grinding was one of the signs I missed with Rose in
November and ultimately her ulcer/s killed her.  Took Loopy back to the
vet and she weighs 1114.  Vet gave me carafate and amoxocillin.  I am
following Dr. Williams protocol of giving the carafate 10 minutes before
meals (The ferrets magazine couldnt have come at a better time!!!!!) BUT
she is doing the same spewing of the carafate as she did with the pred.
This is even worse because I am giving it before every meal so that could
be 4-5 times per day and cant mix it with anything to hide/disguise it.
I am swaddling her up trying to give it but she is violently opposed.

She has been one of the most gentlest of my ferrets and the WORST to
medicate.  I am hoping that when she realizes the thick liquid actually
makes her belly feel better she will not fight as much.  I dont know how
I am going to make it through at least 30 days of this medicine.  Any
ideas.

Thanks.
Rita B.