From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 15:01:32 EDT
>I get to the vet (I live in CA) and the vet is wondering why in the world
>I would want to test him for something he has hardly ever seen here in the
>west coast.  But I give him the skinny on all the talk here on the list
>and he tells me that if I really want he will test him for both but...he
>warns..."these tests are very expensive".  He tells me that the ADV is a
>blood test and it is about $120.00 dollars.  The ECE he wasn't 100% but
>he said the only way to test, that he's knows of, is a poop culture and
>that was over $100.00 too.>

I don't know anything about a test for ECE, but there is a saliva test
available for ADV.  You can get the information and print out a form at
[log in to unmask]  There is also a "home test" kit which works like a home
pregnancy test.  I'm really happy to hear that you're testing, even though
it hasn't been "found" yet on the West Coast.  I have no idea if it's there
yet or not, but no one will know if tests aren't done.  I have no idea
where he came up with $120.00 for a blood test for ADV.  I know that United
charges about $15.00, but then your vet would add his fee for drawing the
blood.  Even United has a kit you can order and test at home by clipping a
nail a bit too short to get a drop of blood and mailing it in.  Yes, I know
it probably hurts the fur kid for a minute or so, but it's worth doing.

You can visit White Russian's ADV web page (URL beneath my name) for more
info on ADV testing, etc.

Judy
Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own!  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html