From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:29:29 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    NEIL JOHN MCSHANNON <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Does my ferret have proliferative colitis?
>My little girl (Peanut-7 months) was diagnosed with proliferative colitis
>and was put on meds (can't remember the name but have seen it in info about
>colitis).

Proliferative colitis is normally seen in ferrets less than 1 year of age
and results in a greenish diarrhea and general unthriftyness.  Treatment is
typically a chloramphenicol antibiotic, anti-diarrheal and nursing care.
The mystery green disease you are probably talking about is ECE (epizootic
catharral enteritis) and results also in a greenish diarrhea.  One of the
main concerns with ECE is the acute, devastating dehydration that occurs
secondary to diarrhea.

If the diarrhe ain your ferret is under control and the appropriate level of
nursing care (feeding, hydration, etc.) is being met, I would monitor them
while on the medications.

>From:    sibretz kralmbeque <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vets:: new ferret-skinnyskinny ferret
>I adopted a female, sable ferret about a week ago and she is really skinny.
>Should I not worry about this and will she fatten up over time.

If the skinny ferret is acting normal, I would monitor them and make sure
they are on a good diet.

As for the respiratory sounds, I recommend a physical examination. Many
normal and abnormal things can cause respiratory sounds and an exam is the
place to start.

>From:    sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Clindamycin and Ivermectin

Clindamycin is a great antibiotic for small mammals.  I cannot say that it
works better than amoxicillin for most ferret diarrheas.  Remember that of
the bacterial causes of diarrhea for ferrets (Heliobacter, proliferative
colitis and others such as camplyobacter), most respond to amoxicillin.
Probably equally or more important is getting the diarrhea under control
with anti-diarrheal medications AND force feeding food and fluids.

I assume the ivermectin is being used for ear mites. I typically do not see
tons of ear mites in ferrets but bacterial otitis externa. Ivermectin will
not do anything for bacteria. Have the vet do an ear cytology first.

>From:    Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: For the Vets: Quidni's Lab Report
>We have the lab reports back on Quidni.We would be very interested in
>knowing whether other vets have seen this in ferrets.

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and immune mediated thrombocytopenia
(ITP) (low platelet count) are typically peripheral circulation diseases and
not bone marrow related.  AIHA and ITP in that context cannot be considered
an aplastic anemia/thrombocytopenia process.

(It is going to get technical here for a second).  The macrocytosis evident
on the CBC suggests macrocytosis which would be a sign of bone marrow
activity.  I have had severe gastrointestinal ulceration/disease that was a
consumptive process of WBC s and platelets.  The melena can cause the
anemia.  You may want to consider this a gastrointestinal disease ferret as
opposed to a bone marrow problem.  More of the lab findings presented fit
that picture and history.

In the absence of lymphosarcoma, leukemia is uncommon.

The major cause of aplastic anemia is estrogen induced in an unspayed female.

>From:    shanon &/or mitch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: medical question
>A little time ago I told you about or Blaize that when she walks runs and
>hops we would hear a popping sound like it was here joint or something.

I have seen ferrets with easily dislocated then relocated shoulder and hip
joints. They seem to do fine long term.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.