From:
Sherri Sconyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:22:40 EST
1. If I left my ferret at home and let it sleep until I got back from
school, (by the way, I normally leave at 7:30 AM and get back at 3:30-4:00
PM.) would the little fert be ok, since it would be unsupervised?  And yes,
it WOULD be in a cage.

2. Will it be in any way traumatic for my fert to meet and possibly be
handled by "new" people a lot?

3. Do ferts enjoy car rides?  (I dont know where that question came from!)

4. For everyone who asked, I've already moved.  We're almost totally
settled.  But, we have to buy and bring in more furniture, just an
entertainment center and I think thats all.

My parents (and me, also) are concerned about the ferret's smell kind of
overtaking the nice, clean smell our house currently has.  Also, THEY are
worried about it eating/chewing on the furniture and the computer and
things.  I know about ferret proofing and I know about deodorizers and
everything, but that doesnt satisfy my parents.  What should I do and what
should I tell them?  Because de-senting ferts doesnt get "rid" of all of
the smell.  I've told them that out past pets didnt have a very nice odor
either and my mom kind of retaliated by saying "thats exactly why they
lived OUTSIDE and not inside, Sherri!" Help!!!!

5. How often do you brush your ferrets' teeth? Daily, weekly??

6. Do ferrets get eyelashes caugh in their eyes like we (humans) do?  If
so, how do you safely/painlessly remove them?  With (CLEAN!) hands or just
let them "blink it out"?

7. Will some of you e-mail me and list/explain all of the different types
of ferrets?  I only know of about 5 or 6.  (example: silver, cinnamon,
albino, sable, champagne...) Because I dont know many of them and I would
like to know them all, for referance.

8. Does music bother ferrets?  Does LOUD music bother them?  What about
noises such as people yelling, car horns, alarm clocks, telephones, etc. ??

9. How often (and HOW!) should you clean your furry little friend's
feet/paws?

10. Other than during bathing, should you clean your ferts rear-end?  Like
with baby wipes or something??

11. Can ferrets survive comfortably in a shed or shelter (that is not very
well insulated) rather than being indoors?  Everything I've read says they
should be kept indoors but my parents dont like that idea too much, so I am
just exploring all possibilites.  I could get some pix of the shed thing
and ask my dad and experiment with a thermometer and get an average temp.
of inside it.

12. How long should you walk your ferret?  Until it starts slowing down
and looks tired?  How often should you walk it?  Would it be okay if I
walk/half-carry =) it for (at most) an hour every day?

13.  What brands or food and cages and bedding and ferret stuff do you
reccomend?  Most people tell me, and from most of what I've read, "totally
ferret" is best (for food, I dont think they sell anything else, I dont
know, I will go to their web cite in a little while and see.  ).  Any
particular type or brand of litter?  Particular flavors/brands/kinds of
food....?

14. How many times does a fert usually poop a day?  I've read about it but
it doesnt get specific.  What is normal?

15. Can a ferret unxip/unclip/unbutton/unhook (or whatever!) bookbag
compartments?  Cause my teachers wouldnt believe "my ferret ate my
homework, honest!" and even more inportantly, I wouldnt want it to eat my
pens/pencils/markers and get sick or poisoned or anything!  Also, can they
open drawers EASILY?

Thanx for at least taking the time in reading my questions!

If you have any answers for me please e-mail me at

ThAnX!!!!!!

future-ferret-owner...hopefully anyway!!
Sherri Sconyers