From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:54:43 EST
Many of you might remember the saga of Derek over the past months.  We
still miss that little guy very much and it won't quite be Christmas in
our house without him.  I hope he's looking in on us in his own way.

You might recall also we were thinking of acquiring another fert to take
Derek's place so Layla, his cage mate, wouldn't be lonesome.  We had dozens
of suggestions from all of the FMLers about what type, age, etc., ferret we
should seek so the pairing of them would be stress free.

We opted to not seek another fert for a while to see how Layla adjusted to
her "widowhood." Surprisingly, she has adapted exceptionally well.  In
fact, she's become much more people oriented, is more active, more playful,
and seems to be enjoying her being in the spotlight.  She has learned an
interesting new trick as well; she's become a master at begging in the
kitchen.  Whenever someone is in the kitchen she comes running and parks
right at the feet.  She'll look up at you with that "poor pitiful me" look
and stares with those brown eyes that see through you.  If that doesn't get
attention then she sits up and begs.  That does get attention!  She'll eat
right out one's hand as if she's done it all her life.  She seems to be
enjoying the newfound attention.

So, as much as we'd like another ferret to share Layla's cage we'll
probably hold off for a while.  As it is, she's a handful by herself.

Al Wiebe