From:
Brad Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:31:53 -0500
Tuesday, February 3 made me wonder if somebody had declared "Ferret
Awareness Day" and forgot to tell me about it.  There were ferret references
everywhere...

It started with a ride on L.A.'s new (well, sort of new) Metro Rail subway,
which I had never ridden before.  As I inspected my transfer coupon waiting
for the train, I noticed that the background design of the transfer included
a drawing of a ferret.  I figured out that these designs are printed in
different colors depending on direction of travel.  But of all the images a
bureaucracy like Metro Rail could come up with - it was a ferret...

Later that day, three more ferret references popped up on TV (all animated
shows):

- the "Cow&Chicken" show Tuesday evenings on the Cartoon Channel includes a
secondary cartoon at the end of each show that features a character by the
name of "I.M.  Weasel".  Yesterday's installment was so good it was
painfully funny.

- Then there was "Daria" (MTV).  This is a satirical show about an alienated
hi school student and hi school culture in general.  In yesterday's episode,
Daria comments on a particularly vapid and shallow classmate by saying the
classmate will never have to worry about mind control, however "she'll have
to watch out for ferrets nesting inside her head".

- Finally, there was Beetlejuice (the animated series produced by Tim
Burton), which included a comment that something or other was "grosser than
a sweating ferret".  (yes, I know, ferrets don't sweat, but that makes the
line even funnier in the context it appeared in).

Imagine, all of these in a single day.  Could this *possibly* be a
coincidence.... ?!?

Claudia
The Weasel Haus