From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:18:13 -0800
This post is mainly for Dr. Williams, but anyone with more info may respond
either on the list or privately to me.  I have been hearing about a vaccine
for Giardia for the last 6 months and have called a few vets( maybe
mistakenly ) to tell them there is no such thing, nor can such a thing
exist.  Several years ago, I had a conversation with some of Dr. Giardi's
colleagues at CU where he used to be on staff I'm told.  They reassured me
that Giardia is a one celled protoplasmic parasite, not a bacteria or even
a virus, which can mutate.  Giardia cannot and does not do the same things
as a bacteria or virus and there fore cannot be vaccinated against.  It is
similar to an amoeba in structure and causes the same symptoms in animals
and humans as the notorius Motezumas revenge, or dysentary, both of which
are one one celled and protoplasmic in nature.  Is this alledged Giardia
vax a hoax and being used to charge a fee to vet clients who are not
knowing the nature of the Giardia parasite?  If there is a vaccination
like this in existence, why not one for dysentary, or tapeworm, or
heartworm, all parasites, which can be killed by medical treatment and
drugs, but not prevented by vaccinations.  If this is not a true vaccine,
then the makers need to change the misleading labels and name it for what
it really is, a drug that kills Giardia, but does not prevent it.  A lot
of animals in Colorado and surrounding states have a problem with Giardia
in the drinking water and the water control folks tell me they are not
responsible for removing it from the water system.  So many people and
critters are constantly reinfected by it because they don't know the source
of the ailment nor what Giardia looks like under a microscope.  All of my
clients are strongly urgerd to never let their ferrets come in contact with
tap water.  All ferrets we recieve from being loose outdoors are checked
by fecal exam and if found to have it treated immediately by using flagyl
or metronidazole.( Same drug.) Continued use of tap water will result in
serious reoccurence of the parasite.  Depending on the answers I recieve
from this post and the information I recieve from the manufactures of
this alledged vaccine, I will be wanting to post the correct info on this
alledged vaccine and informing not only my vets, but all vets within my
reach, about this alledged vaccine.  I personally don't like the idea of my
clients living with this false presumtion that their ferrets are protected
from Giardia when they really aren't.  Dr. Williams, may I have your 2
cents on this subject when you have the time?

Thank you all and give your fuzzies bottled water if you live near
Colorado.
Ferretguy