From:
Sandy E Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 20:47:42 EDT
The Kaluan starcruiser, Ship, was rocked again by a blast from the fleeing
L'taal flagship.  Even though he was violently jarred by the impact, Mikhail
had to stifle a smile and catch a laugh that was welling up in his soul
before it turned into a guffaw that would be totally inappropriate to the
current situation.  He knew what was coming.  As if on cue, Ship's harried
voice issued from every comm station on the Bridge.

"Dangit, Boss!" the beleaguered starship moaned, "That one got the
stabilizers in the living quarters and dumped over all the ferret cages
again.  Shandri's down in the Engine Room trying to patch together the mess
that the last hit caused, so she ain't no help at all.  Dadgum it, Boss, I
got ferrets running all over the place and they got the scratchiest feets I
ever felt!  By the Great One's hairy nipples, I sure wish you would put
shoes on those critters."

The laughter that Mikhail was trying so desperately to suppress suddenly
exploded into a side-splitting release that left tears in his eyes and his
command console drenched with happy rivulets of spittle.

As the tall Kaluan Xenoanthropologist regained a small portion of his
composure, he ordered, "Return fire, Ship.  Tell Ensign Tater to report to
the Bridge - and tell him to walk softly - we can't have your innards
getting tickled to death in the middle of a battle."

"You got it!" Ship groused.....

Whoops!  Sorry!  Forgot what I was doing for a moment.  This is the FML,
isn't it?  I am so easily confused these days.

Had a few spare, lucent moments and wanted to say thanks for all the nice
mail and concern over my recent bout with gut rot.  Thanks especially to
Kelleen for posting such a nice letter, even though I put her up to it.
Thanks also to Jeri for being a 'worry wart.' Your love and concern mean so
much to me.  Keep on filling up my mailbox; I may me slow in replying, but
your letters are dear and precious to me.  Thanks, also, to BIG for looking
kindly upon my ramblings and allowing my cranky thoughts to be aired.

Special thanks to Norris for your suggestion that Dayna name her poor,
tortured baby after me.  I am so far behind on the FML that I will never
catch up.  Your letter caused this old man to weep happy tears.  I am so
deeply gladdened and humbled by your letter that words, for once, fail me.
I just hope and pray that the little guy will find the love, comfort and
support that he needs.  I suspect that he will in Dayna's loving heart.
Thank you, Dayna, for making a difference in this world.

Congratulations and thanks to all who have inspired a change of heart at the
HSUS.  You done REAL good!  Congratulations to the CDFA and everyone else
who is helping to win the battle in CA.  Keep up the good fight.  All of us
in Georgia are behind you 100%.

Anyone who can, please listen to Kelleen's appeal for help with Larry.
Kelleen is a very special lady and, whether she realizes it or not, is very
close to the heart of the Great Spirit Chief, Whom I choose to call God.
Her tireless and unselfish efforts on the behalf of our much-loved ferret
companions are worthy of all love and support.

Finally, my heart and love go out to all who are worried and troubled
because their special friends are sick or gone.  I know your sorrow, can
feel your pain.  Join with me in the faith that there is One who shares our
losses and sorrows and will bring us comfort, joy and reunion in a better
place.

I must close now.  Had no intention of this being so long.  I must get back
to my stories and the business of keeping on keeping on.  Don't know when
I'll be able to write again.  Please know that I think of you often and love
each and every one of you - even the cranky few.

Much love and thanks,

Paw Paw (and Mee Maw, Tater and Odie too.)