Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:24:34 -0000
Ilena wrote:-
>That *does* seem backward, doesn't it?  I don't know what the prevelance of
>hairballs in feral ferrets, polecats, or wild cats is like.  I read a post
>from someone (Sheila, was it you?) some time ago (not sure if it was here
>though) that said feeding whole carcass rabbit, the chunks of skin with fur
>actually are thought to push stuff through the GI tract, and that as a
>result she doesn't need to use hairball remedy at all.... Maybe it makes a
>difference that they are on skin and not just loose hairs that form clumps
>in the stomach, I'm not sure how that would work.

I'm not sure how it works either - but they do need the roughage, maybe
it allows the ferrets' intestinal tract to digest more of the nutrients
available in the whole carcass mouse or chick.  None of my gang have ever
been given hairball remedy or shown any signs of suffering from hairballs.
I'm not sure if I posted anything about lumps of fur and skin pushing stuff
through the GI tract - perhaps Bob C might have posted something.

If I feed my gang any raw meat I always make sure that its not best steak,
bits of skin, fat, tendons etc.  are fine.  I don't feed them raw liver
either, I have ferret who has rickets, someone suggested that it was caused
by the previous keeper feeding Fritz raw liver when he was a kit.  The only
time I do make a point of feeding any raw liver is to a nursing jill, I
just give her a teaspoon of liver every morning - the local butcher got
used to me wanting an ounce of lambs liver every other day.

One stall on our local market sells chicken mince which is supposed to
included everything (except the feathers), I use it as a standby in case
I can't get chicks.

I have read that some American ferrets chew cables, TV remote controls,
rubber etc..  Just how common is this?  None of my lot have ever shown any
interest in chewing cables or the remote.

BTW one of my best PR ferrets is also one of my best workers, he can
dispatch a rabbit quickly and cleanly but he can be trusted with a young
child - with supervision.  Kurt is ok, it's the kids that need watching:-)
Kurt might be fired up after emerging from a bury but I can pick him up and
put him on my shoulder and he shows no signs of blood lust!  So folks, if
your ferrets will eat raw meat or whole carcass there is absolutely no need
to worry about them turning into mini vampires.

BTW the diet I feed my lot must be OK as Casanova, Piper and Stanley were
all placed first in their respective classes at the NFWS Christmas Show.
Not bad for a bunch of rescued ferrets!  BTW rescued ferrets were placed in
every class - considering the state some of them were in when they arrived
at the various welfares it reflects well on the treatment and TLC they
received.

Sheila and 48 contented carnivores
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 26  Dec 1998
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill & Bobby.