From:
"Alex R. Ruiz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:56:48 -0700
I've been reading the FML for about two months now, ever since we got our
first ferret, Mistress.  Friday, we brought Alanis home from our local pet
store.

She's eight weeks and very tiny, @ 347 g.  (Sorry, don't remember how to
convert that to oz.) Noticed the greenish tinge to her poop when we
brought her home, but thought it was from having a new home.  (God
forgive the ignorant ferret momma!) Finally today, noticed her poop was
very green (Faint at heart, don't read this part!) runny, mucousy, and
had maggots in it.

I immediately rushed her to our vet, which is also an animal hospital and
spent a very nerve wracked hour waiting to see a doctor.  They decided to
keep her overnight and put her on antibiotics and fluids.  I then rushed
home, yanked the other fert, Missy, out of the cage, and put her in the
bathtub.  Am currently disposing of all cloth toys (hammocks, etc.) that
can't be bleached and soaking the squeakers, food dish, litter box in bleach
water.  Will also scrub cage with bleach water before letting her back in.

When the hubby gets home, we plan to go to the pet store and replace what
toys we had to get rid of and warm them to keep on eye on the rest of their
kits.

My biggest concern is am I doing all that I can?  I plan on keeping a close
eye on Missy (who's very upset that I took her little buddy away) for
symptoms.

Can anybody who's dealt with this send any advice, prayers, etc. my way?
Am including my e-mail address so I don't bog down the FML.

Only good thing about Alanis's timing is the pet store has to pay my vet
bill.  If I'd waited another day to take her in, her health guarantee would
have been expired.

Thanks to all ahead of time,
    Brande Ruiz
E-Mail @ [log in to unmask]

P.S. Can cats get ECE?
  The
       RRRRRRR        UUUU     UUUU      IIIIIIIIIII      ZZZZZZZZZZ  'S
        RR  RRR        UU       UU       I   III   I      Z     ZZZ
        RR   RRR       UU       UU           III               ZZZ
        RR  RRR        UU       UU           III              ZZZ
        RRRRRR         UU       UU           III             ZZZ
        RR   RR        UU       UU           III            ZZZ
        RR    RR        UU     UU        I   III   I       ZZZ     Z
       RRRR   RRRR       UUUUUUU         IIIIIIIIIII      ZZZZZZZZZZ

       "WE'RE TWO OF A KIND WORKING ON A FULL HOUSE..." - GARTH BROOKS