From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:50:51 +0200
>>>The only way to be sure that an AD positive ferret does not pass on the
>>>disease is to cull it.

>>Does it seem in practice like you also have to keep people who've been in
>>contact with them away from other ferrets in order to prevent spreading
>>the disease?

>See above about transmission of the disease.

The above is of course true, but my question was rather if it was
sufficient?  After all, trials have shown that the virus can be
transmitted via air and at least mink have been infected after being
reintroduced to a farm which was disinfected and left out of use for
two years.

I saw the numbers of how many of the tested ones came out positive, but
I don't know enough to relate that to how many ferrets out of all were
tested.  If one ferret develops symptoms, and one then tests those who
live with and has had contact with it, it's to be expected a large
proportion will be positive.

(Unfortunately, because there's no rabies in the UK, it's relatively easy
to import ferrets from there to Sweden, and AD testing isn't required, so
I've been a bit worried about a possible introduction here for years.)
--
 Urban Fredriksson   [log in to unmask]
 http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/ferrets/