From:
Brenda King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:51:31 EST
Hello everyone.  With all this talk of babies being mauled and animals in
the home ... my 6 fuzzies refused to let me lurk any longer.  Since they
have the tv remote held hostage under the bed until I write their story I
better get moving.

We got our first fuzzy ferret, Princess in July when I was 3 months
pregnant.  Everyone said we were nuts and we'd have to get rid of her once
the baby got here.  Subject to stubbornness the next month we found our
fert family now had 2, as Cinnamon conned us into her purchase.  Again we
were told how crazy we were ... they bite babies, etc.  Two months later
and the itch for an albino came along and we found, Minnie.  That next
month we got a 3 story cage to let our girls have more room ... and then
the cashier mentioned the single fuzzy in the cage who had been lonely all
week since his siblings had been bought ... so into our trio came our first
boy, Bear.  Along with Bear came more old wives tales of ferrets and
babies.  Not more than a week later we saw another lonely fuzzy in a pet
store.  The first blaze we ever came across, and we fell in love instantly.
So home with us that night came, Baby our deaf ferret.  (This is why I
swear they put fuzzies by the ferret food for reasons!!!  Every last one
has been bought while we were out getting ferret food.)  So we now had 5
fuzzies and a baby coming in less than a month.

Well needless to say while I was in labor I was worried about my 5
"children" at home.  I kept insisting that my boyfriend go home and let
them back out.  Yes, I know we should have let them out again BEFORE I went
to the hospital (but you'll be happy to know on the way to the hospital we
did stop and buy them more ferret food.) Once the baby and I came home we
allowed the ferrets to sniff him as I held him in my arms ... this went on
for a few days.  Pretty soon we let our fuzzies out while the baby was
awake more often ... they would sniff him and dance away to play.  Then one
day as I was washing him down on the bed, Cinnamon came over and started
licking his head, next thing I knew they all did it.  Guess I didn't wash
his hair good enough for their expectations.  Most of the time they come
over and sniff at him ... sometimes they lick.  But the one thing they all
LOVE (baby and ferrets both)is when I put the baby in the swing ... I get
all the ferrets in a line heads going back and forth watching the swing.
They have never tried to do anything but lick him ... and every once in
while if he's laying on the bed in Princess's way she'll hiss at him (but
she hisses at EVERYONE who doesn't move for her highness).  Even our
"Christmas ferret" Lady knows not to mess with Aaron.  (I on the other hand
seem to be fair game when I have the baby --- hey rub my belly.  mom.  mom.
MOM.  are you ignoring me?  can't scruff me now, huh?  won't rub my belly,
huh?  FINE I'll show you.  <chomp>) But then again we never leave them
alone.  Like many people have said before ... it's just how responsible you
are with your children and pets.  Go by statistics and you'll find humans
are sometimes more dangerous to babies than any animal.  (child abuse and
neglect).

Princess (I will NOT walk around ... move outta my way!! You too mom.
          HISS!!!)
Cinnamon (No he's not clean enough ... here let me help.)
Minnie (You mean these diapers aren't MINE?!?! You want the wipes back too?)
Bear (Snack sized socks and this dirty diaper ... under the bed they go.)
Baby (A new nap friend...we'll share him mom.  Me on one side---you on the
      other.)
Lady (Look how cute I am. HEY OVER HERE!!  Still ignoring me? Fine <chomp>)
      and the human counter part for this story
Brenda (DJ (aka Dad) help me!!! <as he laughs at me from the bedroom
        doorway>)