From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:36:52 EDT
I tried to post this 2 days ago in response to a question on the FML, but
I had exceeded my limit for that day.  I wasn't aware there were limits...
sorry BIG.  I know now.  I e-mailed the poster and she received other
e-mails, but I didn't see a response posted on the FML...so I'll try again
in case anyone else needs the info.

Per "Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents", "Chordomas are tumors arising from
remnants of notochord...perform spinal radiography and myelography to
identify a site for surgical approach...amputate several vertebrae proximal
to the lesion.  This is usually curative in cases of chordoma and
chondrosarcoma.  Recurrence has not been reported."

"Chondrosarcoma of the tail has also been reported in ferrets.
Differentiation must be made on the basis of immunohistochemical staining
results..."

Insulinoma:
I wish I could persuade everyone with an insulinomic ferret to make Bob's
chicken gravy.  I know not every ferret can or will respond as wonderfully
as Shania has, but I've heard of so very many that have had their glucose
levels raised considerably and that were able to be weaned down to a
greatly reduced dosage of pred.  I've found that many people are afraid of
the "sugar" content in it.  I'm currently in a *discussion* about it on
some ferret boards.  (Bob...I sure wish you had time to jump in and help
me!).  Apparently, everyone *knows* that insulinomic ferrets simply can't
have any sugar at all.  <sigh> Many people won't try the gravy for that
reason.

Please...give it a try anyway.  I started Shania on it and watched her
very, very carefully.  I even made it at first with only half the honey and
Nutrical.  As her energy and glucose levels rose, and she was weaned off
the pred (with no bad effects), I started making the gravy just as Bob
posted it.  That was 8 months ago.  She hasn't had to take pred in 5-6
months and her glucose is 99-94.  I absolutely ADORE Bob just for this
reason.  He can come here and keep us all awake all night any time.
Bob..THANK YOU!  (Yes, she and my others did get a wee bit fat, but we're
working on that!)

GCFA Show:

Last, I'd like to invite anyone and everyone living within driving distance
to come to the October 9th Ferret Show at the DuPage County Fairgrounds in
Wheaton, Illinois.  Come see the well cared for fur kids Bill spoke of!  We
have a great time and the shelter really and truly needs the help the
proceeds from the show provides.  We are also raffling off the infamous "42
Weasel Quilt".  This quilt was previously raffled off and won by a generous
woman who donated it back to the shelter to be raffled off again.  A lot of
hard work went into the quilt...by various people donating squares and most
of all, by Lisa...who has literally worked her *tail* off with this.  It's
a beautiful quilt.  We'll have other neat raffle prizes, too, and lots of
great vendors selling great ferrety stuff.  Please come and visit!  I'll
have my screen name on a card somewhere at my table...stop and say howdy
and meet White Russian, Charmin' Charlie, and Cara Mia!

Judy

[Moderator's note: yes, there's a 3 post (per person) per day limit which
is automatically enforced.  If someone posts more than 3 times in a day the
excess posts are returned automatically -- I never even know it happenned.
It's confusing to some, I know, but 100% automatic.  So... since it's
automatic, in case of emergency, if you need to post more, please email me
directly with your request.  BIG]