From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:58:53 -0700
>From:    SuburbaKnight <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reasons they go to shelters
>This quotation from Wednesday's FML gave me the idea for this: "I do not
>breed the rescue animals as there is often a good reason they were
>unwanted >in the first place."

For breeding purposes, that is indeed correct.  Lets look at ferrets.  We
have a portion o fthe shleter people bemoaning the fact that the ferrets
they get in are those that are sick or old.  Even if they were whole that
WOULD rule them out as breeders.  There IS something worng with them - for
breeding purposes.  We've not had the problems others report but it is
still quite reasonable to assume that a rescued animal might have some
reason not to be become a breeder animal.  Lack of knowledge of the
ancestors is enough.

But Jazmyn's that statement has nothing contradictory with the rest of
your post either.

>From:    "Cox, Sherry" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Various replies
>Ed, I know there is still alot to be learned about aging a ferret beyond a
>year, based on teeth, but I would think that a vet would be able to tell
>if a female has been spayed or not from a physical exam.

Actually not.  Exploratory surgery is the typical method.  Sometimes our
approach is to wait to see if they go into season.  If they don't, then
they aren't whole.  Ed did see developed nipples and that is one of the
few things that signals a whole female that has gone through a pregnancy -
real or false.  There is nothing about whole and spayed jills that require
different treatment until they go into season so they are not at risk if
you "wait and see".  Assuming you are in a situation where you can...

>From:    Carrie Duc <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need advice re: skin rash and itch
>I also have a wee female that may or may not be having discharge from her
>vagina.  Is it a vagina on a ferret?

It is but normally folks say its from the vulva.  Was the discharge clear
or milky?  If it was milky then take it more seriously.

>From:    Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Spreading rumors

Oh, its your turn to be a target... Welcome to the club that is getting
more crowded all the time.  Too bad.

>From:    Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nomenclature defined for male ferrets.
>However, there is another "V-hob" not widely in use, except by ferret
>breeders of some years experience, that is not a vasectomized male ferret,
>but indeed is really just the opposite.

Sorry Ed, but you are the only one we know who uses your terminology.  And
our circle of breeders have decades of experience.

Far more use of v-hob for a dud stud or vasectomized hob.  Never
"viripotent" except from you.  Lets not try to change everyone else to
match your odd phrasing.

I wouldn't recommend dual breeding of a whole and a vasectomized hob to the
same jill.  Increases the chances of infection and seems very unlikely to
work better than other techniques for litter size control.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets