From:
Christine Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:16:49 -0400
We've had Louise for about 2 years, and she lived with her sister until
Thelma died this June.  Louise seemed lonely, so we got a kit for her to
play with.  They seemed to get along okay at the pet store, but now Louise
goes after Rosie with a vengeance.  Rosie, in turn, has learned to run away
whenever she sees Louise.

I know this is probably territorial fighting, but unfortunately I don't have
a neutral area to use in the introduction.  Louise has been in every part of
our apartment, most of it on a regualar basis.  Even in the bedroom, her
least familiar territory, she attacked.  She grabs Rosie's neck and shakes,
which makes me think it's serious business, but she tends to dook at the
same time, which is usually a playful sound.

I've tried Bitter Apple (Louise attacks, then makes a face, waits, repeats),
and Nutrical - Louise goes to lick the baby's face, but Rosie is so freaked
out by Louise, she makes a preemptive strike, preventing any harmony.  When
Louise attacks, Rosie generally retreats under the bookcase (defensible
ground) and hissess mightily.

I'm currently trying to let them interact, then scruffing and caging Louise
after she attacks.  Think this will work?  I worry that I'm traumatizing the
baby by this method.  Is there any hope for them getting along?  Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Christine
Louise (this is MY cage, MY food, MY box, MY teddy bear . . .)
Rosie (Yeah, well this is MY bookcase! HISSSS)