Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:21:17 EDT
When to let MY ferrets on carpet?

I have done this several times as I have moved over the years with
entirely different ferts. They greatly enjoyed baptizing in the corners
AND THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM and behind the door. Even wrote a poem about
it once on the FML with a new white carpet that quickly became too
stained to keep.

When they were not excreting on the new or old carpet, they were
tearing it to shreds in front of the door. They are burrowing animals
and seem to enjoy using this skill in front of the door when I have
carpet.

The real question for me was...how quickly can I tear out the carpet
and put in something I can appropriately clean that is not cancerous
that can not be destroyed by ferrets. Great deals on other materials.
Grab tile and slap some down if you can. ...

If your carpets are new or old, they probably have more bad things in
them than you could dream of. The list is depressing. For new carpets
there are 'volatile organic compounds' VOC's. These include toluene,
benzene, formaldehyde, ethyl benzene, styrene, acetone and many more
chemicals. A few of these have already made the EPA's list of Extremely
Hazardous Substances. Known carcinogens such as p-Dichlorobenzene are
in new carpets, as are chemicals that produce fetal abnormalities in
test animals. These chemicals also cause hallucinations, nerve damage
and respiratory illness in people.

When is it safe to ever put down carpet? Go to google and look up
toxins in carpet. Been reading about this for years.