Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:07:28 -0500
I haven't been keeping up lately, so maybe what I'm writing isn't new but
here goes.

Smoke and Animals: Whether it's marijuana or tobacco, a lot of second
hand smoke in the environment is as bad, if not worse for animals.  A
friend of mine who was a heavy smoker in a rather small apartment had
a cat who coughed and wheezed worse than a human with emphasyma.  She
seemed like she could hardly breathe, and even my friend thought it was
because of his own smoking.  I would imagine it would be even worse for
ferrets since they have such sensitive respiratory systems.  People
rarely smoke as much marijuana as cigarettes, so this is more a warning
to tobacco smokers.  I am no expert, but this is my opinion from my own
observation.

The Whoppi Show: I saw part of that show with the ferret as I was
flipping channels.  Then I watched the rerun.  I was so happy to see a
ferret in a TV show, especially one that takes place in NYC (though the
cage he was in was ridiculously small.  Then came the bite, which was
totally unrealistic, as the ferret seemed so mellow and was not out of
its cage.  Though there was no sign of bleeding, after Whoppi's friend
sprayed something on it, it swelled up.  What was most shocking was
Whoppi sitting in the ER waiting room with so much gauze wrapped around
her entire hand and wrist that it looked like her hand had been chopped
off.  Another case of prejudice against ferrets, and occurring in a city
where we are trying so hard to get legalization.

One time when I went away and stupidly left my cat at a friend's house
(where a dog and another cat lived), she was so terrified that she spent
the entire time in a corner of the livingroom where no one could reach
her.  Though I thought my friend, who is an animal lover, would know
better, he picked her up against her will and she bit him.  His arm
swelled up a bit and he had to get a shot at the doctor's.  I mention
this because it happens all the time with dogs, cats, and other animals
but is always associated with ferrets.  It pisses me off.  As one of my
cable guys said when he met Rocky, "These animals are illegal?  They
should make the rats illegal!"

Does anyone know where I could write to the Whoppi show about this issue?
Also I encourage others to do the same.  Though I am not a regular
watcher, it seems like a witty show and the humor is usually quite
intelligent and on top of political issues.  Though I'm sure Whoppi has
final approval, this is the fault of the writers, who probably never
even met a ferret.

Shron & Rocky