From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:03:17 -0700
concerning the poor ferret who got partially declawed recently...

my ferret Linus has been declawed twice, once by him and once by me.  Both
times the nail grew back.  According to his vet, it's supposed to.  The
first time it didn't come off all the way but after a week fell off on its
own.  W/i a month it was growing back and looking quite normal.

The second time it came off flush with his toe, and that was about 3 or so
weeks ago.  Just this past week and a half it has started growing back, it
still has a little bit of scab at the end but the nail is not gone.  I
think when cats are declawed the vets go deeper than just his toe.

FYI--Linus got infected the first time on his own, maybe it's him and maybe
it was b/c it was his hind foot.  The second time, being much worse than
the first, I took him in right after it happened.

Poor guy, I felt awful when it happened to him.  He never said a word
though, was completely silent.  He didn't like me putting hydrogen peroxide
on it, but then, who would?...

Minta