From:
Kathleen Homan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 04:05:57 -0500
Hello,

First of all I want to start by saying that I am in NO way intending to
attack you by saying to you what I am thinking about your request of
donations for the ferret kit at Petco.  I can tell that you have your
heart in the right place by wanting to take that little guy out of the
pet store enviroment and give him a loving home.  But my question to you
is this...If you cannot afford the hundred dollars it takes to purchase
him yourself, then how are you planning on getting him the rest of the
things he is going to need?  Even if you have other ferrets and have a
cage and supplies already, you have got to take into account the rather
expensive vet bills that comes along with ferret ownership.  These are
things that cannot be put off or ignored.  I realize the temptation to
rescue the pet store babies can be really great-believe me, I work for
Petco..I know!- But I am asking you to PLEASE seriously think this
totally through before you go ahead and bring this animal into your
home.  You want to be able to provide a loving and Permanant home for
the ferret.

I am sure that this issue crossed the minds of many other ferret folks
out there who read your post.  We all just want to make sure that you are
very aware of the big responsibilty you have when you take an animal into
your life.  I am not sure if you have other pets or not and If your do I
am prettty sure you know what I have told you already.  I am just looking
out for the ferret, that is all.  I am not looking to hurt or attack you!

If in the end you really do not have the money that it is going to take
to properly look after that ferret that I know in your heart that you
want...Then PLEASE do the right, but I know the very hard thing.... Let
him go to someone that can take care of him.

I sincerely apologize to you if I offended you by anything that I said.
Believe me, Most of us people that love and work with animals have had
to say No to an animal that even though we wanted or it needed to be
rescued, We just didn't have the means or the space for it.

Think about what I said and in the end I hope everything works out for
the best for both you and the ferret.

Kathy Homan