From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:47:42 -0400
Typically blood is drawn from the external jugular on the neck and the
ferret needs to held and distracted with a treat.  The holding method
is one person using a multi-finger scruff and holding the front legs
downward over the corner of the table, while another person prevents
the rear end from moving around and offers a slow- delivering treat like
oil from a tiny squeeze bottle or Nutrical.  Although I have heard of
people drawing from the Vena Cava we have never had any ferret vet we've
had do that in our quarter century with ferrets.

Re: y'all and http://epsilon3.georgetown.edu/%7Eballc/cgi-bin/todaeg.cgi

Wow!  "winterfylleW" for the month (moon, mon) name in late October.

What a perfect name they had then for an Autumn month preparing for
Winter with cultural traces of Samhain (about the end of October,
beginning Nov -- midpoint between the Autumnal Equinox and the Winter
Solstice) which was seen as the start of Winter, leaves falling,
harvest, trees (so very many trees) being felled for gathering and
charcoal making before Winter.  Winterfylled; I like it greatly as a
word.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan