From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 19:02:12 -0400
Hi,

I have a few questions about ferrets.  I have been a ferret owned human
since just before Christmas and I am still trying to figure stuff out.

1. When ferrets wake up and yawn and stretch and shiver and shake (sounds
like a dance step), what does it mean when they take their little hands
and put them at their neck and then pull them over their heads and face.
It's hard to describe, but it's kinda like if they had hair, they would be
pulling it down into their face.

2. When they are first waking up, they also take their paws and put them in
their mouths and pull their nails through their teeth.  Are they cleaning
their teeth or their nails?  I trim their nails every 3 to 4 weeks.  Is
this a hint that I need to do it more often?

3. I have read some in the FML that ferrets do the flat ferret or "speed
bump" when they are tired or bored.  Mine do that and I know the difference
between a bored "speed bump" or a tired "speed bump".  My question is, what
is the difference between that and the indications of heart problems?  I
had seen some postings on heart problem clues and it seems to me to be the
same thing.  Is it or is there a different type of stance for heart problem
indications?

4. I have been taking my Sola girl to the doctor for hair loss at the base
of her tail and around the haunch part of her back legs.  He felt that
insoluminia (sp?) wasn't the culprit, so he decided to treat her for skin
allergies.  She got what I call an "itchy shot" and her scratching has been
reduced and the hair is coming back.  My concern though, is I have noticed
that she has the fattest little legs I've ever seen.  In fact, I picked her
up this morning and she feels like she is putting on weight.  The haunch
area of her back legs are just so flabby.  (Kinda cute actually).  When she
runs, they "muscle up" and don't look so bad, but when relaxing, she looks
like she's had one too many Cheweasels!  Has anyone encountered this?  If
so, did you determine the cause?  Any problems that came from this?

Thanks for your help and sorry so long...

April and the two Cheweasel hiding fools, Luna and Sola
(don't forget Nutt, Bridgette, and Damon)