From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:49:14 -0500
I think most of us that have been on the list awhile know the obvious
things that can help shelters: provide foster, $ and donations of food,
litter, volunteer to help clean, play etc.  For those that can't do these
things because of home situations, distance etc.  here are a couple of
quick ideas that can help shelters in a large way.

Shelters often run into problems because there are more ferrets being given
up than adopters out there so.....I feel the biggest way to help is to
attack the "front end" of the problem as it were.

(1) Help find homes! Network network network
(2) Offer ferret "educational" services. (Very important!)

To do this:
Most of us have computers or we wouldn't be reading this.  Make a nice
little sign (using power point if you have MS Office) offering ferret
FAQ's, phone help and decision making about whether "Are ferrets are a pet
for you?" Include a short notice about ferret shelters having ferrets
available.  If the shelters near you are fairly distant, do home screening
and volunteer to help transport to good homes.  (Most people simply don't
know about ferret shelters!)

Put them up on all bulletin boards at vet offices (pet stores that sell
ferrets sometimes will have a bulltin board they'll let you use for this,
the ones in my area WON'T) also try grocery stores and of course your local
Humane Society Shelter.  Print out a strip of your phone number to cut and
staple to the bottom.  Keep some FAQ's printed out available to mail.
Heck, ask the vet staff if they'll keep some on hand to pass out.  (Do this
at all vets in town not just your own) Also maybe Quality Farm and
Fleet/Tractor Supply Co.  bulletin boards.  (They sell a lot of feed/stock
equip)

Call other independent animal welfare groups and ask if you can write or
submit an article for ferrets in their newsletter.  (Vet staff often know
about these groups).

Call the girl/boy scouts, campfire girls and other organizations with youth
programs (churches, sports etc.) and see if they would like you to give a
presentation on responsible pet ownership with an emphasis on ferrets as an
example.  Maybe even try local dog clubs and see if there interested from a
helping other species veiwpoint (people who love one type of animal often
love others).

Don't be scared - chances are you won't be overwhelmed with calls but given
some time this may help make a difference.  Get some other ferret friends
to help if you can.  Some turn in's might be averted if some of these
people had more of a support group to help them figure out how to keep
their ferrets.  And hopefully you'll get some people to think about whether
they should get a ferret in the first place.  Write the ASPCA, American
Humane Society to please include articles about ferrets in their
newsletters - tell them you'll help with the infom or maybe just include a
FAQ with the letter (we wouldn't want them spreading bad info!:)

I can forward scanned pictures of my ferrets for use on the poster and I'm
sure we'll all be willing to help with articles for newsletters and
presentations.

Mary, Boris, Giesela and Booker the dog