From:
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 01:24:56 -0700
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: GET REAL

With a few embedded comments aimed to reach others.

>Petco is NEVER GOING TO TELL YOU THIS STUFF.  Nor is any other pet store.
>Educate them to teach this???In a pigs eye.

I sense a soap box speech coming on...

>So many of you seem eager to make this intelligent, complex, sickly,
>costly animal

Ah... there it is...

I consider that misinformation.  Ferrets are NOT sickly.  And not really
costly.  On a per animal basis they cost no more than our dogs or cats.

Okay they do cost more per animal than our goats.  But not our llama.

It is "politically correct" in some circles perhaps to think that ferrets
are some sort of expensive sickly pet that is much different than dogs and
cats but that is not at all true in our experience.

>Alicia is at the point of exhaustion and without necessary funds?

She always is.  Its part of fund raising to say things like that.  Its
hard to get someone to send donations to you when you say things like "Gosh
our shelter is empty and we are taking it easy".  I'm not at this point
claiming that Alicia isn't doing good things for ferrrets but just pointing
out a reality of fund raising.

We have had only one single ferret come into our shelter and then develop
adrenal problems.  She was 7.  We had one ferret adopted from a shelter
that had already had one adrenal gland removed generate problems with the
second gland - he was about 5.  We have had one ferret (Fuzzface my second
ferret) develop adrenal problems at about age 6.  We had a looney visit
and pronounce dozens of our ferrets ill but we ignored her.  None have
developed problems.  We do have two that had some alopecia but no other
symptoms nor was the alopecia long lasting so we no longer suspect they had
adrenal problems and they will have been virtually moved into the adoptable
list.

>Shame on those of you wanting this precious being to be "popular" in the
>public eye!

Shame on those of you who think they are somehow superior enough to deserve
ferrets while most of the population doesn't.  Elitist claptrap.  Ego
stroking self-promoting hogwash.

Of course we all want new owners of ferrets to become immediately
knowledgeable about their charges and treat them in a manner we consider
appropriate.  Same with all other pets.

Oh and Sukie... since I am on a roll.  Ferrets will not get in the same
situation as dogs and cats for the simple reason that the majority of
ferrets are neutered before being brought into their new homes.  As more
dogs and cats are neutered the numbers of them that are put down is
decreasing.  The spay/neutyer programs are working for them.  Hopefully
soon they'll join ferrets in being not so over populated that they require
euthanization for population reduction.

>How many would still LOVE and RESPECT a fert like him?

The typical American roots for the underdog.  A ferret like that is
actually easy to place from a shelter.  Its the generic healthy 3 year
old ferret that is the hardest.

Listen more carefully to those without some politial axe to grind.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets