From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:08:56 -0400
Sorry to say, the editors of "Health News" newsletter may be up on human
medical news, but they are sorely behind the times in relation to ferrets
and their effects on human health.  Here we are with the many rabies
shedding studies done by the CDC and the rabies lab of KSU for an entire
range of rabies strains, with an effective rabies vaccine approved for use
in ferrets by the USDA since 1990, with there never (worldwide) having been
a case of rabies transmission to a human by a ferret, with rates of bites by
ferrets per capita animal being far lower than those for dogs, and with the
1998 National Association of Public Health Veterinarians' 1998 Compendium of
Animal Rabies Control recommending that ferrets be managed in exactly the
same way as dogs and cats --- so what does that newsletter print (with my
capitalizations substituting for their bold face type):

"Ferret Bites

Ferret fanciers may not realize that these long-bodied, furry creatures can
be dangerous, especially to babies and young children.  An article in the
May/June "Journal of Emergency Medicine" describes three ferret attacks that
left youngsters with serious bites and deep lacerations.  The authors say
ANYONE BITTEN BY A FERRET SHOULD RECEIVE RABIES PROPHYLAXIS (A SERIES OF SIX
INJECTIONS IN THE ARM) AS A PRECAUTION, because not all states require
rabies vaccinations for ferrets and the disease isn't well understood in
this species.  Although the Humane Society discourages ferrets as pets, it's
estimated that more than 500,000 households have them."

Now, we all know that serious bites can occur with ANY pet when parents are
too negligent to supervise, especially if the animals were abused, but the
numbers and data just don't mesh with the conclusions drawn or the suggested
approach.

Oh, you'll also note that they print the Humane Society's position of
something like two and half to four years ago as if it were current.

Please, let them know about their incredible errors in this short piece.
Addresses are:

Health News
1440 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02154-1600

website:  http://www.onhealth.com  Don't know if it's also on their website.

I'll be sending them a copy of the 1998 Compendium by snail mail, but it
would not hurt AT ALL if others did the same, or sent them by e-mail for
those who have it in that format.

Could someone on the FML, please, find the address of the Journal of
Emergency Medicine so they can also get a copy of the 1998 Compendium and
be gotten in touch with Doctors Rupprecht, Briggs, and Jenkins.

Sad, but we know which authors and journals editors did NOT bother to check
their data.  I did not expect to find panic-mongers at this newsletter, and
certainly expected them to verify before printing.

Copying this to Bill for inclusion in the FML in case it is too long for
normal acceptance.