From:
Allbill System <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:47:54 -0500
I understand that the following is a very difficult thing to do, but...
the way (I feel) to reduce flames is to ignore them!  I have been flamed
and the experience raises one's hackles, with the result being an urge to
pick up a sword and slay the insolent, arrogant, and dishonorable "*&$*#"!!
In my opinion, those who flame, (even if they truly feel the issue is one
which demands correction) are not contributing to the discussion or
exchange of information.  It seems a portion of their urge to flame
involves a need to inflict pain, therefore nothing positive can be
generated.

Differences of opinion can be positive, and are the reason why this List
exists: Providing a forum for communication of thoughts, feelings,
experiences, and fun concerning Ferrets!  [I'll sneak a 'kudos' in here
for BIG :o)]  Although it is important to include on the list posts about
flames, flamers, and suggestions of what to do about them ... it is mildly
discouraging to see so much energy given up to the few who do these things.
I wonder if we encourage them merely by talking about them so much?!?

It is so-o-o-o difficult to do, but ignore them!  Since most flamers aren't
(again, in my opinion) interested in ferrets as much as inflicting their
views onto others, if we practice the habit of ignoring flames and flamers,
they will go away!

And now, with head held high, I will push the 'send' button ... venturing
forth to offer my throat to the flamers!

But Wait! I had fuzzy stuff to share!!

1) Recently I heard of a local ferret human who had 5 ferrets come down
with canine distemper!  After contacting the person, I found out they had
just adopted some ferrets, but the resident ferrets had only received 1
distemper vaccination, with no boosters!  The human was relatively new to
their guardianship, and took the advice of their Vet, who (according to the
human) had recommended 1 distemper was enough!  It is not known whether the
new arrivals brought in the virus, but needless to say the whole business
suffered ... at last count, 3 have crossed the Bridge :'o(  But the other 2
seem to be (slowly) getting better!  Fuzzy Prayers to them!  Moral of the
story: One can never have too much information!  Please pass this sad tale
to others, with the hope to prevent future suffering.  Thanx!

2) Another distemper tale, but with a positive outcome :o)  Last Fri., Jake
went for his first distemper vac since being diagnosed with insulinoma last
August.  He began to vomit within 10 minutes of receiving the shot, but
because MJO (on this List) had shared with me that she waits at the vet's
after all shots, Jake was able to immediately be seen and received a IM
steroid shot!  After just a few minutes, he was better, and after another
2 hours of observation, Jake and I went home.

Jake was sleepy, but with encouragement, he ate some duck soup and drank
water over the course of the day.  But the big scare came later in the
night, in those huge hours when in panic presents itself ... and calls to
the vet result in pagers and answering services, I was left with my friend
Jake hacking and doing something which I feared was the throes of
respiratory distress!

The 'poop' first began to fly when Jake woke to use the 'box'.  He climbed
back into his hammock ... and then he began to cough ... and to hack in
short bursts!  Everything I tried to help Jake were useless ... looking in
his throat (no problem), a few licks of 'tone' (no improvement), some H2O
(didn't help).  Jake would try to lie down, but within a couple of seconds,
he would hack & cough.  He became glassy eyed!  Has anyone felt panic
quietly creep up their back?  With every fraction of a second, and with
warp/glacial speed ... panic made itself known.

Calls to the vet ... no answer.  Answering services, no return calls
(least as quickly as I DEMANDED them).  Then in mindful panic, I remembered
information I read on this List and on The Ferret Store Board, and I took
action!  I had previously purchased 'Children's Benadryl' as part of my
"ferret first-aid" kit, and with advice posted on TFS board by a
knowledgeable person, I gave Jake a dose.  Listening with a stethoscope I
had inherited, I could hear his lungs were not wet or weaszy.  And with a
quick link to a site from a human of this List (who I won't cite here
'cause it might seem they were offering medical advice, and that wouldn't
be ethical), I gave Jake a quarter dose of his regular pred.  Within about
20 minutes, Jake was resting ... he awoke on his own in about 2 hours and
had a drink & some duck soup (again, I have developed a version of that
because I use this List!).

A long night unfolded, with my frequent, quiet checks on Jake ... and many
fuzzy prayers.  He produced a few 'gulps' and 'hick-ups', but no further
coughing.  Much sleeping was seen, but each time he got up to use the box,
Jake stopped to look at me closely watching him ... as if to say, as he
returned to his sleep sack; "Why are u lookin' at me?  Go to bed, will
ya?!?"

Saturday AM was filled with a whole bunch of typical ferret behavior ...
'rice-box' digging, attempts to get into the bathroom (a 'ferret-free'
zone), and dirty looks each time I returned him to his cage!  DOOK-DOOK!

I wanted to offer this record of a frightening experience, one which
resolved to Jake's benefit because his human had found a community of
other ferret humans.  Often I have read this List and TFS Board.  The most
perfect reason for these places to exist, the real purpose for all of us
to gather ... is this: Early Saturday, I was looking in on Jake, most
likely for the one hundred & fifty third time since Friday evening.  What I
observed caused a 'fuzzy smile' to set upon my face!  Jake's left arm was
draped on his flank, drawing the pillow of his butt upward for his chin to
nestle into!  This was a sight which most critics would cry is merely the
result of an 'obsessed fan' projecting human traits unto a 'dumb animal'!
Such people had never known the soul of ferrets ...

In closing, Thanx to all the people who have posted here, and posted to the
other sites which share their knowledge.  It is through your gifts that
others are able to care for their friends :o)

Jake & Garry