From:
"Jennifer D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:32:05 -0400
Lucy's the fuzzy with the swollen vulva I posted about the other day.  Her
bloodwork came back and everything was fine except for a slightly low white
count, so we've got her on amxicillin for two weeks, and then we'll test
again.  No signs of anemia or anything else bad.  The white cell numbers
could just be caused by a minor virus--we seem to have something going
around with no major symptoms, just a few runny poops and lassitude that
lasts a day, maybe two.  In most ferrets, anyway.

So, well, keep your fingers crossed for us!  With any luck, we'll be able
to hold off on Lucy's surgery until we can actually afford it--and it will
be uncomplicated.

The vet, BTW, seconded my opinion that it was either an ovarian remnant or
an adrenal problem, but since there were no other signs of adrenal disease
(she ahs the plushest coat I've ever seen, very fat, very active), and
she's only 2, and she's a Marshall Ferret.... both of them are unlikely.

They have similar treatments anyway.  :-)

We also picked up a four-year-old little biting girl from the local Animal
Refuge League.  She bites ankles to be played with and wrists to be put
down.  Apparently she belonged to someone's kid, and was never actually
given any training of any kind.  Great with other ferrets, though.  Her
name was Sable.  It's now Esperanza.  We have high hopes for this little
one.

Jen and the Crazy Business