From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:06:36 -0700
>From:    jason soltan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Stories/Litter/TF
Our ferrets that ignore litter ignore all litter.  Those that use it use any
litter.  Sorry if that isn't too encouraging.

I don't know any reason that Totally Ferret needs to be refrigerated.

>From:    Becca Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms Inherent Problems?
Hi Becca!

Several people have esposed a theory that Marshall Farms ferrets are more
susceptible to cancers.  I've even heard some breeders claim that their
ferrets have had cancers bred out of them.  I do not believe either.
Marshall Farms has such a huge percentage of the market that they likewise
have a huge percentage of the ferrets that will get cancer.  I've known
ferrets from the cancer free breeders that died of cancer.  My pet theory is
that the cancers are at least partially environmental.  Some have claimed
that European ferrets are less likely to get these cancers than American.
We have the highest proportion of European ferrets in the US that I know of.
We have American, English, German, Swedish and Russian genetics in our
ferrets.  There is even a bit of supposed polecat in one of them.  I'll be
sure to keep records of whether the European extracts have any different
cancer rates.

Rudy Bob once asked a question here that some attacked as being snide.  I
think he was serious.  What do English ferrets die of?  In England ferrets
are far cheaper than in the US.  Does this relative inexpensive lead to a
different outlook on care?  I know certainly it would not be universal.
Their mere presence here would make the FML readers from the UK not a part
of what I'm talking about.  But are ferrets over there considered more
disposable like hamsters and mice are here?  Do they get the same cancers
and are they not reported?  Or are they really less prone to these diseases.
Examining this issue is one reason we have imported so many different
genetic strains.

Now a bit more information on a couple things Pam posted about ferret shows
and events.  Such as toll-free numbers for some (800 and 888).

Small Mammal Veterinary Conference August 23 - 25
Baltimore, Maryland Sponsor: American Ferret Assoc., Inc.
Call: 1-888-FERRET-1

NYC Ferret Fiesta September 14
White Plains, New York
Sponsor: Big Apple Ferret Assoc.
Call: 1-800-FERRET-2

LAFF's Fall Picnic September 15
Loudon County, Virginia
Sponsor: Loudon Area Ferret Fanciers
Call: 703-471-4365

Fall Harvest Ferret Expo (tm) November 23, 1996
Frederick, Maryland
Sponsored & Sanctioned by: American Ferret Association, Inc.
Call: 1-888-FERRET-1

>From:    dma <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Are ferrets dangerous to babies?
Our infant son went to his first ferret show at age two weeks (or was it
three?) If you see the publicity boards for the AFA, LAFF and maybe STAR*
(haven't seen her stuff lately but she asked for the photos) you will see
our infant with ferrets along with others.  No Derek (our son) is not dead.
Nor has he been harmed in any way.  He is more of a threat to the ferrets
than they are to him.  He is as big as they come and healthy as he can be.
I guess our opinion is ferrets and babies are GREAT together.  I trust the
ferrets more than I trust the dogs and cats.

I would not recommend giving ferret poop as baby treats.  It is pretty
gross.  Doubt very seriously it is more of a poison threat than dog or cat.
Also not being repotiles there isn't the same salmonella threat.

>From:    Jeff Finazzo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cleaning fuzzy ears
Ferrets really aren't very fond of ear cleaning.  We usually do it along
with a bath.  Scruffing them then double teaming them by having one person
hold the ferret and the other doing the ear work seem most successful.  I
can do it myself but after years of practice.

>From:    Cheryl Mathison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Thinning Tail Fur
You did not describe what I usually expect to be adrenal problems.  In the
summer a lot of ferrets seem to lose all undercoat on their tails and have
just the longer guard hairs - and even they can be sparse.

And it is only conjecture that Marshall ferrets are more prone to disease.
Not proven at all.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com