Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 00:24:50 -0500
The Fish and Game Commission voted 3-2 in favor of keeping the issue of the
ferret as a wild animal 'open to public consideration'.  Now what this
basicallyl boils down to is......  3 commissioners have opened their minds
to continuing to listen to what we have to say, this is a change from the
past stance, of not hearing what we said....  we can and have proven what
we say....  but they wouldn't listen.  It's been like talking to a brick
wall (or a ferret with it's mind made up to do something you say no to).
Very frustrating to say the least, but at least now they are willing to
listen.  This is a victory (minor) but a victory none the less.

What do we do now?
We, the CDFA, FA, and LOS CA are looking for scientist type people with PHDs
attached to their names to testify on the issues of 'environmental impact'
and 'health (rabies, etc)' at the next hearing (date to be determined....
probably mid '96 as a GUESS).  If you have these qualifications or know
someone who does and is willing to testify on our behalf on these issues,
please have them contact the CDFA immediately.....  They can do so through
me at [log in to unmask], by calling 415-851-3750 or 510-886-4210.  THIS IS VERY
IMPORTANT.

What will probably happen is:
The bill may be amended to state that IF they are legalized, the following
types of regulations may be needed (I know this is very ify but .....  we
don't really know what the amendments will be yet).  Rabies, Spay/Neuter,
etc.  Then if the Commission has this in front of them when they consider
the issue again, it adresses the issues they are concerned with regulating
if they remove the ferret from their 'wild' animal list, they will be much
more inclined to do so....  So basically its a double headed attack.....

Another area that needs to be addressed, you guessed it, is the National
HSUS.  They were there in force testifying against as "too many pets
already..".  Here is a suggestion that came down on some of the boards and
may have been posted here, but it really merits consideration.  When the
HSUS solicites funds from you, you know the little thing we get in the mail,
return it in their postage paid enevelope and state on their form, "Since
you continue to fight the legalization of the domestic ferret in CA/MA, I
will NOT be contributing to your cause, until you change your stand on this
issue".  or something to that effect....

Good job, Jeanne Carley, Floyd Carley, Jan Goldsmith (last years bill author
rearranged his schedule to testify at this hearing), Dick Schumaker (Head of
the CA Veterinary Association), and to all of those who worked so hard for
this meeting...... We will succeed....

CDFA1