From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:09:20 -0700
>From:    Stefania Zenuti <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Let me introduce myself

I'll give my answers biased toward the AFA terminology since I am a
licensed judge with that organization.

>Kiko has a creamy white undercoat and dark grey guard hairs on his body
>that go darker on the legs but his four paws are white.  His face has the
>same mask as my sable only grey not brown.  Does this make him silver?
>Do mitts refer to feet?

IN AFA terms, Kiko is a black roan mitt.  Medium silver mitt to others.
UNless those legs are really pretty black in which case black mitt and
heavy silver.

Yes mitts basically means white feet.

The roan refers to white guard hairs mixed in with the dark - like a salt
and pepper effect.

>Angus is much the same with some brown guard hairs mixed in with grey but
>his mask is not defined as clearly and he has two white splotches on his
>head and the tip of his tail is white too.  So what the heck is he?

Angus is a mutt.  Genetically close to the black mitt but also having the
confusing factor of Waardenburg syndrome mixed in.  Some of us (I may have
started it) call that a blaze wannabe.

Mutts happen to be my favorite in appearance - but that Waardenburg
syndrome can have some other nasty effects such as deafness.

If this isn't clear enough, just say so and I'll try to explain more
clearly.  It is rather confusing at first.

-bill (flying solo on this)
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets