From:
Cynthia Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 14:55:13 EDT
I have scheduled a vet appointment (for Wednesday) ...but with Ferret
Central down, I could use some speculation.....

I found a lump on my ferret Epstein's back.  He had his annual rabies shot
on Wednesday night and I found the lump on Sunday night.  The lump is to
the left of his spine , mid back about 3" from his neck and 3" from the
base of his tail...and is approx.  the size of a kidney bean.  The lump
is not rock hard...but its not 100% squishy either ...perhaps it is the
consistency of an kernal of corn.  It does not appear to cause Epstein pain
when I palpitate or squeeze the lump.  Epstein is at his usual high energy
level - he is eating normally (a mix of TF and Iams kitten) - pooping
normally - and doing his best to liberate all of my houseplants from their
dirt prisons.  The lump has not changed shape, size, consistency, or
location since Sunday.

Epstein will be 3 years old in July.  He had a gastronomy back in November
to remove a piece of rubber (eeek!) from his stomach.  He is a silver mitt
from an unknown breeder.  Since he was very young, Epstein has from time to
time, at random intervals had an unusual hacking cough, that sounds like
ashma.  He gets a large dose of petromalt daily ...and my vet does not
think the coughing is because of a blockage.

Epstein gets lots of hugs, scratches and inspections ...and I don't think
the lump was there last week.  The vet did a physical exam on Wednesday
before giving Epstein his annual rabies shot.

Could this be a reaction to the shot?  (It is not in the same location.) A
cancer?  A benign cyst?  Any ideas?  I'd like to show up at the vets on
Wednesay with as much information as possible.

Thanks

Cynthia Donovan &

Epstein - "Stop poking me ...I gotta go dig!"
Rockford - "I'm the perfect one, no lumps on me and I never get caught
digging."