From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:34:54 -0700
Since ferrets have nails rather than claws (right???) then it's not really
declawing, but de-nailing.  Maybe if we compared it to removing the nails
from a dog, people would get the picture?  (Maybe not...but, it's a
thought.)

Kids update: Grover has /finally/ started to gain weight!  He regained all
the weight he lost after I got him, and is now up to 900g.  Lots more to
go, but wow, what a difference!  His coat seems different (though that
could be winter coat...and for that matter, winter weight gain helping
too??) but he is a lot more active.  He's actually graduated from basic,
almost sad "exploring around" to more arboreal ferret activities, plus
standing on his hind legs and begging for the jingle ball, plus flopping
over onto his back, grinning like a goon, and then leaping up and tackling
another ferret and playing hard!  He dances for a few seconds sometimes,
though still no dooks.

Onyx is doing very well also; she really enjoys interacting with the other
ferrets at the shelter.  She is slowly but surely becoming a softie and a
lips-kisser instead of a nose-biter.  She still has a little ways to go but
I got a good face-washing today and lots of kisses.

My undying thanks, once more, for the excellent care they are getting at
the Cascade Ferret Network, whom I credit for all these great changes.
Hopefully I will be moving in the next 2-3 weeks and then I can FINALLY
take my fuzzies home!

- Megan
--
Megan O'Shaughnessy, L.M.T. D.C.